[ksurf] upwind with wipikas

  • kiteworks@hunterlink.net.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 27, 1999
      I have read many comments regarding the upwind ability( or lack of) with wipikas.Today I kitesurfed with an 8.5 wipika on 30 m lines in 8kts of wind with a Mac T 8ft 5 fin Malibu on flat water.I managed to sail slightly upwind . I set the forward bridle on the last knot and the trailing edge bridle on the first knot.I have found that by changing the bridle settings I can maximise the performance and wind range.My next project is to quadline my Wipika. The Mac T 5 fin is a very cruisy board with a gippy rubber deck We ride without footstraps and ride the board as you do a Mal.After you get the board planing I walk to the nose of the board and Increase the pressure on my back foot pushing out on the tail and getting great upwind even in light coditions.cheersLachlan Beed