Re: [ksurf] board size

  • Ian Young
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 1998
      G'day All,

      I think our design seems to have hit on a pretty good compromise.

      Performance on high speed slalom and jibes is good, although if you
      don't dig in enough rail on a high speed 180 degree jibe it can tend to
      skip sideways.

      Shape is similar to a conventional surf board design slightly stretched,
      then shrunken with less rocker. Control in winds > 20 kts is still good
      but retains good slalom performance (it'll be interesting to see how the
      five fins go slalom).

      > I don't think 5 fins is the good way ( Do you remember research about three
      > fins windsurf race boards and it success) Or the famous BIC SHOW KEN WINNER
      > REPLICA in the 80's!!!

      I'm not familiar with this research can you provide some more details
      please?

      > Have you ever seen surf boards with centered fins????

      My latest prototype has one rear centre FCS G2 fin with two side G2 fins
      slightly in front then another two G4 (smaller) side fins further
      forward again (just behind front foot). I'll let you know how it goes
      when I get it in the water. The beauty of the Fin Control System (FCS)
      fins is that you can quickly change their size or remove them all
      together if it doesn't work out - great for development prototypes.

      The latest board weighs 2.5 kg and is strong - triple glassed for wave
      jumping performance - I weigh 82kg.

      Cheers,
      Ian

      WinDesigns Australia:
      9 Oliver St, Scarborough, WA, AUSTRALIA, 6019
      Phone/Fax: +61 8 9245 4657
      Mobile: 0414 716 812
      Email: IanYoung@...
      Webpage: http://www.iinet.net.au/~ianyoung/