Re: [ksurf] AR5 15.5 falling from sky

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2000
      > - wind speed was lowish at around 5-8mph, if that makes a difference

      That makes a difference, but you can trim the kite so that doesn't happen.
      Use the knots at the kite to set it nose high. Attached the front lines to
      the end of the pig tail and the rear line on the knot closest to the kite.

      If that doesn't stop it, move the knot on the end of your center leader line
      farther up the rope. You should be able to get the kite to fly with the
      front lines slightly sagging in light wind. This setting will stop this is
      most cases. Wind to light for kiting will cause this with any kite.

      Dwight
    • KiteBoard@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 3, 2000
        trogg@... writes:

        << every time it got high upwind, and at the Zenith.......... it
        would stall and fall out of the sky - leading edge forward into the
        wind towards the pilot????????

        What gives.>>

        The higher the lift-to-drag ratio (performance) of the kite, the higher it
        wants to fly. You can either tune it to reduce L/D, or just turn it quickly
        away from the edge whenever it tries to fly too high when you're stopped (it
        will not happen while you're moving). Increasing the range of the trim line,
        & hooking in while stopped allows you to alter the angle of attack (which
        alters L/D) in order to reduce this tendency.

        Mel
      • trogg@cwcom.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2000
          Mel

          Magic - this is exactly what I needed to know, thanks!!!!

          As hooking in whilst stopped may not always be feasible for me, eg.
          I'm trashed and cannot co-ordinate movements sufficiently to deal
          with this mental and physical challenge......

          How do I increase the drag on the kite using the set of three knots
          on each of the front and back lines.

          Thanks in advance