Re: [ksurf] Wakeboard techniques?

  • CKFLYER@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2000
      In a message dated 7/1/00 9:20:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time, ssgray@...
      writes:

      << Are there any wakeboard style kitesurfers out there who can tell me
      how you re-orient yourself (without taking the board off your feet)
      after you get dragged, or wipe out and end up with the board behind
      you? I've done it once, but it was a bit of a fluke. I'm getting
      sick of taking the board off, flying the kite, and putting the board
      on again. Help!

      If you fall and land on your back, first you must roll your body back to your
      front side.
      This can be difficult when kite is overhead in nuetral zone, because now you
      are facing upwards looking at the kite backwards. . To roll back over,
      slowly lower kite to edge of window and roll your body back over toward it.
      Then raise kite to nuetral, over head, and fly the wake board underwater
      back to the starting position...

      Chris Kjos
      KitesurfUSA Kitesurf School
      Ft. Lauderdale, Florida USA
      <A HREF="WWW.KITESURFUSA.COM">WWW.KitesurfUSA.com</A>
    • paul menta
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2000
        your problem is a common one.when you crash or fall and the board is BEHIND
        you,first relax and get the kite in the nuetral posistion.then looking up at
        the kite, start to twist the board driving the your right foot down in the
        water,let the kite go a little to the left so it lifts you slightly,keep
        twisting the board and suck your knees up to your chest and as the board
        starts to come aroundbring the kite back to nuetral. i know eaiser said than
        done ,but remember,what i explained is a 1-2-3 thing,once you start ,dont
        stop,this is a safe way and i teach all my students this way,and they never
        have a problem........

        remember relax!!!!!!!...........paul

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2000
          One more piece of advice. When you are pulled out of position. Quickly get
          the kite out of the harness and fly it into the neutral zone and then hook
          into the harness . If you don't you may experience a very unpleasant
          backwards body drag.

          When you have the board tucked up under you, use the power of the kite to
          lift you up and allow you to move the board in front of you again.

          Kenny

          << your problem is a common one.when you crash or fall and the board is
          BEHIND
          you,first relax and get the kite in the nuetral posistion.then looking up at
          the kite, start to twist the board driving the your right foot down in the
          water,let the kite go a little to the left so it lifts you slightly,keep
          twisting the board and suck your knees up to your chest and as the board
          starts to come aroundbring the kite back to nuetral. i know eaiser said than
          done ,but remember,what i explained is a 1-2-3 thing,once you start ,dont
          stop,this is a safe way and i teach all my students this way,and they never
          have a problem........

          remember relax!!!!!!!...........paul >>
        • Dave Raue
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2000
            > In a message dated 7/1/00 9:20:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            ssgray@...
            > writes:
            >
            > << Are there any wakeboard style kitesurfers out there who can tell me
            > how you re-orient yourself (without taking the board off your feet)
            > after you get dragged, or wipe out and end up with the board behind
            > you? I've done it once, but it was a bit of a fluke. I'm getting
            > sick of taking the board off, flying the kite, and putting the board
            > on again. Help!
            > >>

            > If you fall and land on your back, first you must roll your body back to
            your
            > front side.
            > This can be difficult when kite is overhead in nuetral zone, because now
            you
            > are facing upwards looking at the kite backwards. . To roll back over,
            > slowly lower kite to edge of window and roll your body back over toward
            it.
            > Then raise kite to nuetral, over head, and fly the wake board underwater
            > back to the starting position...

            If you're in very shallow water, rolling over from this position is not
            easy - as I discovered. Stay in water deep enough so you CAN roll the board
            around if need be.
          • Ted
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2000
              When the board is behind you and you are on your stomach we do one of
              the following.

              Roll your board in front. Bend your knees with the board close to
              your butt and with the kite in the neautral position use your stomach
              muscles to bring your feet / board in front. It is a lean backwards
              force the board under you and forward effort. With the larger
              wakeboards this is a chore but not too hard.

              Jump and swing the board in front. This is a good one for those who
              use bindings and a smaller wake board. On your stomach with board
              behind you bring the kite to one side, then just as you would
              initiate a jump bring the kite overhead. As you are pulled out of
              the water swing the board in front. When you are initiating your
              jump the board is behind you with your knees bent while leaning
              forward. The board is out of the water behind you at this point.
              After several trys you'll be able to come out of this one on a plane.

              -Ted