Re: [ksurf] Skimboard and Kites..

  • Bruno Legaignoux
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 1998
      Swell wrote:

      > 'kiteskimming'. Has anybody
      > tried it yet? In what conditions?

      I have a friend which did it for a long time in the large bay of La
      Baule
      in France. The beach is around 3 miles with a large road along it.
      He hasn't yet access to Internet so he can't reply himself.
      First he was a kiteflyer and enjoyed kiteskimming.
      But he couldn't go upwind. The main problem is that you very quickly go
      downwind (at 20 knots or more) so after a few minuts of fun, you have to
      come back by feet or car.
      Practising this sport gave him a good experience so he easily became a
      kitesurfer.

      I experienced to sail very close to the shore with waterskis and other
      "crafts" with very short fins. In 10/20cm deep water, between the shore
      break and the beach, there is on some beaches a 50m wide space with very
      flat water. It is extremly fun
      If someone can make a special board capable to go a little bit upwind, I
      believe that there is a future for this sport.

      Bruno