Re: Anyone Kitesurfing Isabella Lake, CA?LowDown

  • Jeff Quick
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2000
      Ya the current wind forecast for everywhere in So Cal is horrible for
      the weekend right now. One more day to fine tune the forecasts and
      see which place to hit though. Also, the Bay Area forecast looks
      pretty grimm for wind too. It never likes to blow on weekends here.

      Jeff

      --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, LA2WNDSRF@a... wrote:
      > garth_gregoire@c... writes:
      >
      > > One other note on Isabella, on the lower wind days, it tends to
      be
      VERY
      > gusty.
      > >
      > > Basically if it's averaging 13-17 or so, it tends to actually be
      0 - 20,
      > not
      > > exactly ideal kitesurfing conditions.
      > > Also, predicting whether their will be wind at Isabella or not
      can be
      > tough,
      > > but generally if it's foggy at the coast, it blows good.
      > >
      > > Garth
      >
      > I've been windsurfing their since ' 79, you young whipper snappers!
      > And you are right Garth - it can be very gusty - its not unusual
      to have
      > 10-30mph winds.
      > This past April and first half of May were very good with winds in
      the 25-50
      > mph range. I was literally blown off the water one day, after the
      first two
      > days of 20-35mph winds.
      > Now it is a early warm year up their and the winds are turning
      gusty
      in the
      > light range. Again Garth you are right, watch for low pressure
      system on the
      > coast, being socked in "June Gloom", except in double high pressure
      systems,
      > which can generate similar cloudy coast, but light winds at
      Isabella
      too. Too
      > hot Temps are the key.
      > Possibly warming in So Cal this weekend, so may be light at Izzy.
      > It will be hot up their - in the upper '80's to the '90's -
      > Check www.iwindsurf.com/
      > for free wind history and delayed real time wind.
      >
      > Kitesurfing can be very difficult here and probably frustrating
      with
      gusts.

      > Suggested areas to launch with an unobstructed beach area to walk
      back up
      > wind (to start with) is the Auxiliary Dam area(Upwind,South). As
      you
      become
      > familiar - you can go down to the "Ghetto" area(downwind, North)
      (more
      > boulders and bushes to launch,though) which is nearer the wider
      part
      of the
      > lake and a favorite for the advanced windsurfers.
      >
      > You will need a $15 board permit, which is good for the whole year.
      > And you better get one because Kitesurfers are so rare here, the
      Boat Ranger