Re: How many kites does everyone have/use ?

  • rob@guardianfire.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2000
      --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, KiteBoard@a... wrote:
      >:
      >
      > << By October, when our winds come back, we should have access to
      the new
      > double-skin Naishes and Flexi's etc.. >>
      >
      > Have you heard something about a proposed production double-skin
      Naish?

      Hi Mel,

      No, I have not heard anything official, but Don mentioned it some
      time
      ago. And, just like in windsurfing, you have got to keep pumping out
      new products to keep it interesting for those addicted to the sport.

      Later,
      Rob
    • Dwight & Jacky
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2000

        > Have you heard something about a proposed production double-skin Naish?

        Don Montague mentioned it here some time back. He also pointed out that
        single surface kites fly at higher angles of attack without stalling. This
        was true in hang gliding too. Trainer hang gliders are still single surface
        today. Don't hold your breath waiting for double surface kites. They may
        never offer what we need form kiting.

        Dwight
      • KiteBoard@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2000
          In a message dated 00-06-01 19:50:33 EDT, fishersfort@... writes:

          << > Have you heard something about a proposed production double-skin Naish?

          Don Montague mentioned it here some time back. He also pointed out that
          single surface kites fly at higher angles of attack without stalling....
          Don't hold your breath waiting for double surface kites. They may never offer
          what we need form kiting. >>

          Don't "foil" kites qualify as "double surface" ? Don't they offer what we
          need? Granted, most don't have adjustable angle of incidence, but the new,
          highly aclaimed Peter Lynn "Arc" (or Arch, or whatever) does, and the actual
          angle of attack changes a lot with different wind speeds, points of sail,
          attitude of the kite, etc.

          Mel
        • chrislee@iafrica.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2000
            --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, rob@g... wrote:
            > --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, KiteBoard@a... wrote:
            > >:
            > >
            > > << By October, when our winds come back, we should have access to
            > the new
            > > double-skin Naishes and Flexi's etc.. >>
            > >
            > > Have you heard something about a proposed production double-skin
            > Naish?
            >

            > Hi Mel,
            >
            > No, I have not heard anything official, but Don mentioned it some
            > time
            > ago. And, just like in windsurfing, you have got to keep pumping
            out
            > new products to keep it interesting for those addicted to the sport.
            >
            > Later,
            > Rob

            I don't think the point is that they must "keep pumping out" new
            products: the fact is that the current equipment is rather primitive
            (if you don't believe me, talk to me in five years time.....) and
            technological advances are chronically needed to make the sport more
            acessible and enjoyable.

            Cheers all

            Chris van Schoor
          • Steve McCormack
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2000
              Hi Mel

              I think he meant they can be bridled at a higher angle and will fly high in
              the window with less chance of stalling, from my understanding this is
              because they have a narrow/thin leading edge and conform more to an
              aerofoil. This is not true for the Naish/Wipika design though due to the
              thickness and non aerofoil shape and the turbulence under the leading edge
              tube creating an amount of drag that seems to be a useful characteristic of
              this sled. Good solid pull throughout the wind window, low sensitivity to
              gusting, basically they are a kite that is good for certain aspects of
              kitesurfing like big high jumps. Well designed foils have a far more
              efficient aerofoil design, but they are way more sensitive to gusts and
              require greater vigilance and faster reactions from the flyer, the
              characteristics give a narrower wind range that is comfortable so they are
              better for high speed and situations like wave riding, I guess what I see
              happening is that certain kites will be better for different aspects of this
              sport and people will choose according to their needs. What do you or others
              think about this ?
              From my understanding you are absolutely correct in that a kites angle of
              attack changes at every point within the 1/4 sphere they fly in. Cya and
              Goodwinds
              Steve McCormack
              sydney@...
              www.kitepower.com.au

              > << > Have you heard something about a proposed production double-skin
              Naish?

              > Don Montague mentioned it here some time back. He also pointed out that
              > single surface kites fly at higher angles of attack without stalling....
              > Don't hold your breath waiting for double surface kites. They may never
              offer
              > what we need form kiting. >>
              >
              > Don't "foil" kites qualify as "double surface" ? Don't they offer what we
              > need? Granted, most don't have adjustable angle of incidence, but the
              new,
              > highly aclaimed Peter Lynn "Arc" (or Arch, or whatever) does, and the
              actual
              > angle of attack changes a lot with different wind speeds, points of sail,
              > attitude of the kite, etc.
              >
              > Mel

              > windTools - producer of the legendary Mosquito Pro KS
              > Get the right kitesurfingstuff.
              >
              > Visit http://www.windTools.com

            • Dwight & Jacky
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2000

                > Don't "foil" kites qualify as "double surface" ? Don't they offer what we
                > need?

                We were talking about a guy who was waiting for a double surface Naish or
                Nexus.

                No or little warning of a pending stall. Just stall hard and fall. Typical
                of double surface vs single surface wings. Is this really good for kiting?
                Higher speeds, maybe too high for all around fun. Prone to generating too
                much apparent wind speed. Do we really need this to do what we want in
                kiting? They may be the future, but as I said before don't hold your breath
                waiting. It took a long time before hang glider designs advanced enough to
                make double surface wings work well.

                Dwight
              • Steve Burgoine
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 3, 2000
                  In the last Kite Passion Mag they had a pic of the new flexi water
                  kite, it looked like the blade in plan form with inflatable noodles
                  where the ribbs are, they had been testing in Tarifia(?) so it cant
                  be that far from its launch.

                  as for how many kites you need? I'm sure we'd all like a full set but
                  its realy down to local wind condtions & how heavy you are.
                  If your heavy & it rairly blows over 20 knots then is it worth buying
                  a little kite?
                  dont forget you can extend the wind range of your kites buy using
                  different line lengths, much cheaper than a new kite.
                  Steve