Re: [ksurf] How many kites does everyone have/use ?

  • KiteBoard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2000
      In a message dated 00-06-01 09:50:12 EDT, rob@... writes:

      << By October, when our winds come back, we should have access to the new
      double-skin Naishes and Flexi's etc.. >>

      Have you heard something about a proposed production double-skin Naish?

      I'd think a Flexi would come much later, since their SINGLE-skin Nexus isn't
      even out yet (even though it's been hyped for quite a while now).

      To answer your question: I'm using only one kite now, since it rarely blows
      too much here for my 7.5AR5, & I can go in under 10 knots with that same kite.

      Mel
    • rob@guardianfire.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2000
        --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, KiteBoard@a... wrote:
        >:
        >
        > << By October, when our winds come back, we should have access to
        the new
        > double-skin Naishes and Flexi's etc.. >>
        >
        > Have you heard something about a proposed production double-skin
        Naish?

        Hi Mel,

        No, I have not heard anything official, but Don mentioned it some
        time
        ago. And, just like in windsurfing, you have got to keep pumping out
        new products to keep it interesting for those addicted to the sport.

        Later,
        Rob
      • Dwight & Jacky
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 1, 2000

          > Have you heard something about a proposed production double-skin Naish?

          Don Montague mentioned it here some time back. He also pointed out that
          single surface kites fly at higher angles of attack without stalling. This
          was true in hang gliding too. Trainer hang gliders are still single surface
          today. Don't hold your breath waiting for double surface kites. They may
          never offer what we need form kiting.

          Dwight
        • KiteBoard@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 1, 2000
            In a message dated 00-06-01 19:50:33 EDT, fishersfort@... writes:

            << > Have you heard something about a proposed production double-skin Naish?

            Don Montague mentioned it here some time back. He also pointed out that
            single surface kites fly at higher angles of attack without stalling....
            Don't hold your breath waiting for double surface kites. They may never offer
            what we need form kiting. >>

            Don't "foil" kites qualify as "double surface" ? Don't they offer what we
            need? Granted, most don't have adjustable angle of incidence, but the new,
            highly aclaimed Peter Lynn "Arc" (or Arch, or whatever) does, and the actual
            angle of attack changes a lot with different wind speeds, points of sail,
            attitude of the kite, etc.

            Mel
          • chrislee@iafrica.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2000
              --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, rob@g... wrote:
              > --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, KiteBoard@a... wrote:
              > >:
              > >
              > > << By October, when our winds come back, we should have access to
              > the new
              > > double-skin Naishes and Flexi's etc.. >>
              > >
              > > Have you heard something about a proposed production double-skin
              > Naish?
              >

              > Hi Mel,
              >
              > No, I have not heard anything official, but Don mentioned it some
              > time
              > ago. And, just like in windsurfing, you have got to keep pumping
              out
              > new products to keep it interesting for those addicted to the sport.
              >
              > Later,
              > Rob

              I don't think the point is that they must "keep pumping out" new
              products: the fact is that the current equipment is rather primitive
              (if you don't believe me, talk to me in five years time.....) and
              technological advances are chronically needed to make the sport more
              acessible and enjoyable.

              Cheers all

              Chris van Schoor
            • Steve McCormack
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 2, 2000
                Hi Mel

                I think he meant they can be bridled at a higher angle and will fly high in
                the window with less chance of stalling, from my understanding this is
                because they have a narrow/thin leading edge and conform more to an
                aerofoil. This is not true for the Naish/Wipika design though due to the
                thickness and non aerofoil shape and the turbulence under the leading edge
                tube creating an amount of drag that seems to be a useful characteristic of
                this sled. Good solid pull throughout the wind window, low sensitivity to
                gusting, basically they are a kite that is good for certain aspects of
                kitesurfing like big high jumps. Well designed foils have a far more
                efficient aerofoil design, but they are way more sensitive to gusts and
                require greater vigilance and faster reactions from the flyer, the
                characteristics give a narrower wind range that is comfortable so they are
                better for high speed and situations like wave riding, I guess what I see
                happening is that certain kites will be better for different aspects of this
                sport and people will choose according to their needs. What do you or others
                think about this ?
                From my understanding you are absolutely correct in that a kites angle of
                attack changes at every point within the 1/4 sphere they fly in. Cya and
                Goodwinds
                Steve McCormack
                sydney@...
                www.kitepower.com.au

                > << > Have you heard something about a proposed production double-skin
                Naish?

                > Don Montague mentioned it here some time back. He also pointed out that
                > single surface kites fly at higher angles of attack without stalling....
                > Don't hold your breath waiting for double surface kites. They may never
                offer
                > what we need form kiting. >>
                >
                > Don't "foil" kites qualify as "double surface" ? Don't they offer what we
                > need? Granted, most don't have adjustable angle of incidence, but the
                new,
                > highly aclaimed Peter Lynn "Arc" (or Arch, or whatever) does, and the
                actual
                > angle of attack changes a lot with different wind speeds, points of sail,
                > attitude of the kite, etc.
                >
                > Mel

                > windTools - producer of the legendary Mosquito Pro KS
                > Get the right kitesurfingstuff.
                >
                > Visit http://www.windTools.com

              • Dwight & Jacky
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 2, 2000

                  > Don't "foil" kites qualify as "double surface" ? Don't they offer what we
                  > need?

                  We were talking about a guy who was waiting for a double surface Naish or
                  Nexus.

                  No or little warning of a pending stall. Just stall hard and fall. Typical
                  of double surface vs single surface wings. Is this really good for kiting?
                  Higher speeds, maybe too high for all around fun. Prone to generating too
                  much apparent wind speed. Do we really need this to do what we want in
                  kiting? They may be the future, but as I said before don't hold your breath
                  waiting. It took a long time before hang glider designs advanced enough to
                  make double surface wings work well.

                  Dwight
                • Steve Burgoine
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 3, 2000
                    In the last Kite Passion Mag they had a pic of the new flexi water
                    kite, it looked like the blade in plan form with inflatable noodles
                    where the ribbs are, they had been testing in Tarifia(?) so it cant
                    be that far from its launch.

                    as for how many kites you need? I'm sure we'd all like a full set but
                    its realy down to local wind condtions & how heavy you are.
                    If your heavy & it rairly blows over 20 knots then is it worth buying
                    a little kite?
                    dont forget you can extend the wind range of your kites buy using
                    different line lengths, much cheaper than a new kite.
                    Steve