Re: [ksurf] Hand Sew or Machine Sew Kite Lines Sleeving???

  • kiteboarding@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1 9:34 AM
      If you have a spare foot on your sewing machine, grove it with a file so that
      both lines get pushed together under it. Then a zig-zag stitch (mimic the
      spacing you see on other lines) Make the sewn section LONG if it is your
      first time so you can enjoy the lines without any of your sewing
      'shortcomings' being a problem.

      You have the right thread?

      Don't hand stitch if you have a machine, you will go nuts.

      Paul Niznik
      <A HREF="Paul@...">Paul@...</A>
      (917) 687-3748
      Advance USA/International Paragliding Inc.
      954 West Front Street
      Red Bank NJ 07701. USA
      Ph/Fx (732) 747-7845
      Check out our webpage for more products and info at (<A
      HREF="http://www.advance-thun.com">http://www.advance-thun.com</A>) and
      download 'io' info at (<A
      HREF="http://members.aol.com:/kiteboarding/advanceio">http://members.aol.com:/
      kiteboarding/advanceio</A>).
    • Art Clark
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1 11:08 AM
        You can also tape two pieces of thin cardboard to the machine, leaving
        just enough space for the lines to pass between.

        Art

        Todd Snyder wrote:

        > If you can change out the feeder foot on the machine get a solid one so that
        > it pullse the sides of the loop evenly . You can put masking tape around if
        > you need but with the solid foot should stay together and feed through just
        > fine.
        >
        > Maybe this helps....
        >
        > Later,
        > Todd
        >
        > deon@... wrote:
        >
        > > Hey Group.
        > > I would like some feedback on sewing kite line sleeving.
        > >
        > > Machine sewing: How do you keep the sleeving together as you pass it
        > > through the sewing machine.
        > > Hand sewing: Is there a prefered method or stitch pattern for hand
        > > sewing?
        > > Thanks!
        > > Deon
        > >
        > > The Kitesurf Group is sponsored by windTools
        > >
        > > windTools - producer of the legendary Mosquito Pro KS
        > > Get the right kitesurfingstuff.
        > >
        > > Visit http://www.windTools.com

        > --
        >
        > windTools - producer of the legendary Mosquito Pro KS
        > Get the right kitesurfingstuff.
        >
        > Visit http://www.windTools.com

      • Dave Raue
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1 12:56 PM
          Special feet with grooves are available for sewing cords, piping
          etc. Check at your local sewing machine shop. It's easier than
          filing and the groove will be smoother. I tried the filed-groove
          method until I got a grooved foot, the grooved foot is way better.

          A neat trick is to paint the sewed loop with the liquid vinyl rope-
          whipping paint. It keeps the thread nice and tidy and you can label
          the lines with Sharpie marker. Plain braided line (e.g., Spectra
          1000) seems easiest to sew. I tried sewing Q-line, it was impossible
          on my Singer. It's VERY hard and I kept breaking needles. After
          getting Q-line I stopped all this and just use figure-8 knots.

          Dave

        • deon@thatdeonguy.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1 4:30 PM
            --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, kiteboarding@a... wrote:
            > If you have a spare foot on your sewing machine, grove it with a
            file so that
            > both lines get pushed together under it. Then a zig-zag stitch
            (mimic the
            > spacing you see on other lines) Make the sewn section LONG if it is
            your
            > first time so you can enjoy the lines without any of your sewing
            > 'shortcomings' being a problem.
            >
            > You have the right thread?
            Paul: What is the correct thread?
            Thanks!
            Deon

            > Don't hand stitch if you have a machine, you will go nuts.
            >
            > Paul Niznik
            > <A HREF="Paul@a...">Paul@a...</A>
            > (917) 687-3748
            > Advance USA/International Paragliding Inc.
            > 954 West Front Street
            > Red Bank NJ 07701. USA
            > Ph/Fx (732) 747-7845
            > Check out our webpage for more products and info at (<A
            > HREF="http://www.advance-thun.com">http://www.advance-thun.com</A>)
            and
            > download 'io' info at (<A

            HREF="http://members.aol.com:/kiteboarding/advanceio">http://members.a
            ol.com:/
            > kiteboarding/advanceio</A>).
          • Chris Brent
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1 4:51 PM
              --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, kiteboarding@a... wrote:
              > If you have a spare foot on your sewing machine, grove it with a
              file so that
              > both lines get pushed together under it. Then a zig-zag stitch

              Good tip. However don't bother buying a new foot. It dosen't make
              any difference to how the foot performs in normal use, you won't even
              know the groove is there.

              Chris