Re: [ksurf] Hand Sew or Machine Sew Kite Lines Sleeving???

  • Todd Snyder
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2000
      If you can change out the feeder foot on the machine get a solid one so that
      it pullse the sides of the loop evenly . You can put masking tape around if
      you need but with the solid foot should stay together and feed through just
      fine.

      Maybe this helps....

      Later,
      Todd

      deon@... wrote:

      > Hey Group.
      > I would like some feedback on sewing kite line sleeving.
      >
      > Machine sewing: How do you keep the sleeving together as you pass it
      > through the sewing machine.
      > Hand sewing: Is there a prefered method or stitch pattern for hand
      > sewing?
      > Thanks!
      > Deon

      > windTools - producer of the legendary Mosquito Pro KS
      > Get the right kitesurfingstuff.
      >
      > Visit http://www.windTools.com

      Click here for Free Video!!
      http://www.gohip.com/freevideo/
    • kiteboarding@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2000
        If you have a spare foot on your sewing machine, grove it with a file so that
        both lines get pushed together under it. Then a zig-zag stitch (mimic the
        spacing you see on other lines) Make the sewn section LONG if it is your
        first time so you can enjoy the lines without any of your sewing
        'shortcomings' being a problem.

        You have the right thread?

        Don't hand stitch if you have a machine, you will go nuts.

        Paul Niznik
        <A HREF="Paul@...">Paul@...</A>
        (917) 687-3748
        Advance USA/International Paragliding Inc.
        954 West Front Street
        Red Bank NJ 07701. USA
        Ph/Fx (732) 747-7845
        Check out our webpage for more products and info at (<A
        HREF="http://www.advance-thun.com">http://www.advance-thun.com</A>) and
        download 'io' info at (<A
        HREF="http://members.aol.com:/kiteboarding/advanceio">http://members.aol.com:/
        kiteboarding/advanceio</A>).
      • Art Clark
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2000
          You can also tape two pieces of thin cardboard to the machine, leaving
          just enough space for the lines to pass between.

          Art

          Todd Snyder wrote:

          > If you can change out the feeder foot on the machine get a solid one so that
          > it pullse the sides of the loop evenly . You can put masking tape around if
          > you need but with the solid foot should stay together and feed through just
          > fine.
          >
          > Maybe this helps....
          >
          > Later,
          > Todd
          >
          > deon@... wrote:
          >
          > > Hey Group.
          > > I would like some feedback on sewing kite line sleeving.
          > >
          > > Machine sewing: How do you keep the sleeving together as you pass it
          > > through the sewing machine.
          > > Hand sewing: Is there a prefered method or stitch pattern for hand
          > > sewing?
          > > Thanks!
          > > Deon
          > >
          > > The Kitesurf Group is sponsored by windTools
          > >
          > > windTools - producer of the legendary Mosquito Pro KS
          > > Get the right kitesurfingstuff.
          > >
          > > Visit http://www.windTools.com

          > --
          >
          > windTools - producer of the legendary Mosquito Pro KS
          > Get the right kitesurfingstuff.
          >
          > Visit http://www.windTools.com

        • Dave Raue
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2000
            Special feet with grooves are available for sewing cords, piping
            etc. Check at your local sewing machine shop. It's easier than
            filing and the groove will be smoother. I tried the filed-groove
            method until I got a grooved foot, the grooved foot is way better.

            A neat trick is to paint the sewed loop with the liquid vinyl rope-
            whipping paint. It keeps the thread nice and tidy and you can label
            the lines with Sharpie marker. Plain braided line (e.g., Spectra
            1000) seems easiest to sew. I tried sewing Q-line, it was impossible
            on my Singer. It's VERY hard and I kept breaking needles. After
            getting Q-line I stopped all this and just use figure-8 knots.

            Dave

          • deon@thatdeonguy.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2000
              --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, kiteboarding@a... wrote:
              > If you have a spare foot on your sewing machine, grove it with a
              file so that
              > both lines get pushed together under it. Then a zig-zag stitch
              (mimic the
              > spacing you see on other lines) Make the sewn section LONG if it is
              your
              > first time so you can enjoy the lines without any of your sewing
              > 'shortcomings' being a problem.
              >
              > You have the right thread?
              Paul: What is the correct thread?
              Thanks!
              Deon

              > Don't hand stitch if you have a machine, you will go nuts.
              >
              > Paul Niznik
              > <A HREF="Paul@a...">Paul@a...</A>
              > (917) 687-3748
              > Advance USA/International Paragliding Inc.
              > 954 West Front Street
              > Red Bank NJ 07701. USA
              > Ph/Fx (732) 747-7845
              > Check out our webpage for more products and info at (<A
              > HREF="http://www.advance-thun.com">http://www.advance-thun.com</A>)
              and
              > download 'io' info at (<A

              HREF="http://members.aol.com:/kiteboarding/advanceio">http://members.a
              ol.com:/
              > kiteboarding/advanceio</A>).
            • Chris Brent
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2000
                --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, kiteboarding@a... wrote:
                > If you have a spare foot on your sewing machine, grove it with a
                file so that
                > both lines get pushed together under it. Then a zig-zag stitch

                Good tip. However don't bother buying a new foot. It dosen't make
                any difference to how the foot performs in normal use, you won't even
                know the groove is there.

                Chris