Re: [ksurf] kite lines:reality check

  • KiteBoard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2000
      In a message dated 5/31/00 11:34:49 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
      support@... writes:

      << As mentioned earlier by someone, each WELL tied knot reduces line strength
      by a minimum of 10%. >>

      I believe the best knots come closer to a 30% strength reduction.

      << I still ... have ... my sheeting line attached via a quick release to my
      harness!! It works great and I still don't feel the need to change this
      system! >>

      Me too!

      Mel
    • Andy Heaton
      Message 2 of 9 , May 31, 2000
        If 30% is the case with kite lines (I was going off rope figures), a 500lb line
        immediately becomes a 350lb line if a knot is added. A 300lb line becomes a 210lb
        line!!

        So, to acheive a true 500lb line strength with tied knots you will need to use
        650lb lines (back to rope again:-))

        If these figures are close, this is to cause a drag problem to achieve the
        breaking strain required to 'get by'.

        I know with ropes they use a safety factor of 4. ie the rope can theoretically
        handle 4 times the recommended load. Is it the same for our lines?

        Is there any line manufacturers in the group that can shed some more light on
        this subject?

        Regards
        Andy Heaton
        http://www.kitehigh.com

        P: 1 808 250 KITE
        E: support@...
        F: 1 808 242 1087

      • KiteBoard@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , May 31, 2000
          In a message dated 00-05-31 17:18:17 EDT, support@... writes:

          << So, to acheive a true 500lb line strength with tied knots you will need to
          use
          650lb lines (back to rope again:-)) >>

          Or use sewn, sleeved loops instead of knots. I think then you only lose
          about 10%.

          << I know with ropes they use a safety factor of 4. ie the rope can
          theoretically
          handle 4 times the recommended load. Is it the same for our lines? >>

          I doubt it. It's probably closer to minimum breaking load.

          << Is there any line manufacturers in the group that can shed some more light
          on
          this subject? >>

          Dave Culp has a website with lots of info about kiteline strengths, knots,
          sewn loops, etc. at http://www.dcss.org/speedsl

          Mel
        • Greg Walsh
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2000
            650lb kite lines? How strong are the attachment points on a kite?
            Shouldn't the max. line strength be about 80% the strength of the bit
            of kite you're attaching it to. Which is better, a broken line or a
            broken kite?