Re: [ksurf] kite lines

  • Andy Heaton
    Message 1 of 15 , May 26, 2000
      Aloha Daniel

      Go to http://kitehigh.com/buygearacc.html# and click on control bars and
      lines.

      They are all listed there.

      Regards
      Andy Heaton
      http://www.kitehigh.com

      P: 1 808 250 KITE
      E: support@...
      F: 1 808 242 1087

      Daniel Harvey wrote:

      > How much for a pair of 30m lines?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Daniel

      > windTools - producer of the legendary Mosquito Pro KS
      > Get the right kitesurfingstuff.
      >
      > Visit http://www.windTools.com

    • mans collner
      Message 2 of 15 , May 26, 2000
        Hey Daniel!

        I think those lines on kitehigh is FAR to expensive(+100$ for 40m!!!).
        And I dont think you need 475lb lines in any kind of kitesurfing whatever
        your weight is.
        Go for thiner lines, reduces drag.
        And that price sucks!

        Look at Carls page.
        http://www.guernsey.net/~cacg/
        There you can buy lines on a spool, and then you fix sleves yourself.

        /Måns Collner

        2000-05-26 20.28, skrev Andy Heaton på support@... följande:
        > Aloha Daniel
        >
        > Go to http://kitehigh.com/buygearacc.html# and click on control bars and
        > lines.
        >
        > They are all listed there.
        >

        > Regards
        > Andy Heaton
        > http://www.kitehigh.com
        >
        > P: 1 808 250 KITE
        > E: support@...
        > F: 1 808 242 1087
        >
        > Daniel Harvey wrote:
        >
        >> How much for a pair of 30m lines?
        >>
        >> Thanks,
        >>
        >> Daniel
        >>
        >> The Kitesurf Group is sponsored by windTools
        >>
        >> windTools - producer of the legendary Mosquito Pro KS
        >> Get the right kitesurfingstuff.
        >>
        >> Visit http://www.windTools.com

        > --

        > windTools - producer of the legendary Mosquito Pro KS
        > Get the right kitesurfingstuff.
        >
        > Visit http://www.windTools.com

      • Gerry Bolda
        Message 3 of 15 , May 26, 2000
          I second that!!
          Go to your local kiteshop (stunt kites ect) and they will most likey
          have rolls of spectra for way cheaper than the pre-cut lengths.

          I can get 300ft of 300lb spectra for $80.00 canadian, thats about $53
          US. A bargin!!!

          Gerry

        • kiteboarding@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , May 30, 2000
            In a message dated 5/26/00 3:02:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            mans.collner@... writes:

            > And I dont think you need 475lb lines in any kind of kitesurfing whatever
            > your weight is.

            Yes, you do. Even stronger for beginners.

            Here is a ROUGH scetch of the math involved in determining that number:
            Consider that a person can be launched easily by a kite, a good jump about
            30' feet. The person reaches the 30' quickly, let's say in 2 seconds. That
            means his/her launch velocity was 79 feet/second. These jumps start very
            quickly, with a sudden 'jerk' lasting under a second getting you launch
            speed. For argument's sake, lets say it takes a second of pull to get you to
            launch velocity. This means your acceleration was 79 feet/second/second, or
            roughly 2.5 times the same "pull" of gravity on your kiteboarder (32
            feet/second/second).

            If your average kiteboarder weighs in at 180 lbs, then the kite lines have to
            hold 420lbs (210lbs each) to get the guy up on this AVERAGE jump. Double that
            number for a safety margin, and you start getting the 400lbs+ line strength
            that is the standard. This physics is simplified, but errors of this estimate
            will be in the favor of safety. If you don't trust my math, use a simple
            estimate: doesn't the pull of a jump make you feel like you are holding onto
            at least double your weight at first? What would happen with big jump or gust
            or heavy set guy? You want the safety margin unless you like to swim.

            Paul Niznik
            <A HREF="Paul@...">Paul@...</A>
            (917) 687-3748
            Advance USA/International Paragliding Inc.
            954 West Front Street
            Red Bank NJ 07701. USA
            Ph/Fx (732) 747-7845
            Check out our webpage for more products and info at (<A
            HREF="http://www.advance-thun.com">http://www.advance-thun.com</A>) and
            download 'io' info at (<A
            HREF="http://members.aol.com:/kiteboarding/advanceio">http://members.aol.com:/
            kiteboarding/advanceio</A>).

          • KiteBoard@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , May 30, 2000
              In a message dated 5/30/00 1:55:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
              kiteboarding@... writes:

              << > And I dont think you need 475lb lines in any kind of kitesurfing whatever
              > your weight is.

              Yes, you do. Even stronger for beginners.

              Here is a ROUGH scetch of the math involved in determining that number: >>

              I don't think it needs to be that complex. With a 2-line kite low over the
              water, powered up & railing the board hard, the lines can nearly touch the
              rail of the board. The force is sometimes nearly enough to buckle your
              knees, so the total force is nearly what you can leg press at that slight
              knee bend angle (nearly 4 times your weight*). Now turn the kite, so nearly
              all the force is on one line.

              *you can "piggy-back" somebody of equal weight, which puts TWICE your weight
              on ONE leg at a time when walking.

              Mel
            • Andy Heaton
              Message 6 of 15 , May 30, 2000
                I might see if I can source some 800lb lines by the sounds of things=-)

                Message 7 of 15 , May 30, 2000
                  In a message dated 00-05-30 20:34:09 EDT, support@... writes:

                  << I might see if I can source some 800lb lines by the sounds of things=-) >>

                  Somebody recently posted that Flexifoil is coming out with some new 700lb
                  lines.

                  Mel
                • Steve McCormack
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 31, 2000
                    Hi Andy

                    We stock and sell 800lb lines for this very reason, some big people just
                    break 500lb lines when they edge hard or try to jump, especially if they fly
                    with crossed lines, cya and
                    Goodwinds
                    Steve McCormack
                    sydney@...
                    www.kitepower.com.au

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 31, 2000
                      Hi Mel

                      They are but they have been temporarily withdrawn from sale due to some
                      technical problems with sheathing burn through when sailing with twists in
                      the lines, cya and
                      Goodwinds
                      Steve McCormack
                      sydney@...
                      www.kitepower.com.au

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 31, 2000
                        HI All

                        The Flexifoil guys are all here at the moment shooting a new video,(same guys
                        making it as HIGH) and yes, flying the NEXUS. Looks very interesting, I won't
                        comment further about its flying capabilities until I've tried it! I was told
                        that bugs are still being worked on and won't be ready for a while.

                        Anyway, they also have the 700lb lines! As far as I can see, they are closer to
                        ROPE than lines and they are braided! The drag must be incredible....and
                        apparently they still snap!!

                        Regards
                        Andy Heaton
                        http://www.kitehigh.com

                        P: 1 808 250 KITE
                        E: support@...
                        F: 1 808 242 1087

                        Message 11 of 15 , May 31, 2000
                          Hi Steve

                          Are these the thick braided type or do you have something with a little less
                          drag?

                          Regards
                          Andy Heaton
                          http://www.kitehigh.com

                          P: 1 808 250 KITE
                          E: support@...
                          F: 1 808 242 1087

                        • Brian Wilsom
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 1, 2000
                            Hey Andy
                            We also stock and sell the 800lb as standard flying lines for ocean use in
                            Capetown.We have had a couple of busted 500lb but no 800lb as yet.
                            Awaiting supply of the new stiff, no tangle/slippery/no sleeve lines with
                            interest.

                            Brian Wilson
                            Suntrax
                            Tel / Fax: **27 21 556 0044
                            http://www.suntrax.co.za

                          • James Stubberfield
                            Message 13 of 15 , Nov 9, 2000
                              Hi guys,
                              Just converted my wipi's to 4 line, and I fully recommend
                              anyone considering the same to go ahead. Power control makes
                              staying upwind a dream - especially for beginners like me.
                              My only question for all you 4 line veterans out there is how do
                              you trim the depower system?
                              Do you set the power to be just right when you are hooked in to
                              both harness lines (depower loop and normal loop) or when you are
                              hooked in to just the main harness line?
                              When going upwind do you hook into both, just the main or just
                              the depower loop?
                              Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
                              Thanks, James
                            • metafizx@email.com
                              Message 14 of 15 , Nov 9, 2000
                                What I understand is to set to max power (with no depower, just main
                                harness), then ride the depower loop to sheet the kite as you need it.
                                Generally to upwind easier, be in the depower loop only. On lighter
                                days, you may not have enough wind to be in the depower loop, so in
                                that case, main loop only.

                                You want to start off with as little depower as possible, since the
                                controllability of the kite goes down with the back lines drooping
                                from the depowering. Which means picking the right kite for the sesh.

                                --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, "James Stubberfield" <emysjs@n...> wrote:
                                > Hi guys,
                                > Just converted my wipi's to 4 line, and I fully recommend
                                > anyone considering the same to go ahead. Power control makes
                                > staying upwind a dream - especially for beginners like me.
                                > My only question for all you 4 line veterans out there is how
                                do
                                > you trim the depower system?
                                > Do you set the power to be just right when you are hooked in
                                > both harness lines (depower loop and normal loop) or when you are
                                > hooked in to just the main harness line?
                                > When going upwind do you hook into both, just the main or
                                just
                                > the depower loop?
                                > Any comments will be greatly appreciated.
                                > Thanks, James
                              • Gurpreet Pandher
                                Message 15 of 15 , Nov 9, 2000
                                  >My only question for all you 4 line veterans out there is how do
                                  you trim the depower system?
                                  >Do you set the power to be just right when you are hooked in to
                                  both harness lines (depower loop and normal loop) or when you are
                                  hooked in to just the main harness line?<

                                  James,
                                  I used to set it for full power just hooked in to the harness line and hook
                                  into trim loop only when overpowered. Getting in to trim loop when
                                  overpowered can be tricky though. I would jump unhooked, full power - good
                                  for raily style take offs. Then I damaged my shoulder which would get
                                  tweaked with every jump. Solution - stay hooked in to trim loop all the time
                                  including jumps. Have the strap set so that power is just right with the bar
                                  held at a comfortable distance whilst hooked in to the trim. If you then
                                  want to get a little more power as you load up for a jump, then you can pull
                                  the bar towards you by 3 inches. If you get overpowered push your arms away
                                  at full stretch. Trimming the kite is then automatic when hooked in to the
                                  trim loop. Jumps in the trim loop tend to be smooth with soft landings (like
                                  Franz Olry). You can get extra power for your jump by unhooking totally
                                  which gives a more explosive jump (like Robbie Naish) pulling you up by the
                                  arms rather than from the hips. Combining both types of jumps adds to your
                                  repertoire.

                                  I now don't use my main harness line except when controlling the kite one
                                  handed whilst I manouvre the board or attach my leash. Hooking in to both
                                  loop and harness takes away the automatic sheeting control whilst resting
                                  your arms a little but I really don't feel the need.

                                  >When going upwind do you hook into both, just the main or just
                                  the depower loop?<

                                  I'm always going upwind, the only time I'm going downwind is when I'm in
                                  the air, recovering from a jump or changing direction - all the rest of the
                                  time I'm gaining ground so that I can get another jump in :-).

                                  That's how I do it. FreeAirs are great when 4lined. Superior to AR5s in
                                  medium to small sizes IMHO. Later, Simon.