[ksurf] Re: Size of kites <-> size of sails

  • CKirks@aol.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 31, 1999
      I'd written:
      << >Gaastra is the only company (so far) to have done any kind of real
      >measurements of the forces generated by various designs of sailboard sail.
      >Several years ago they mounted a fully rigged sail to the top of a truck
      they
      >drove across the flat desert. They measured lift, drag, sheeting force,
      etc.
      >& input to a computer at various airspeeds. They probably have some L/D
      >numbers (that they never published). >>

      Then In a message dated 1/31/99 4:41:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
      algen@... writes:
      << *I wonder if there have been any independent university tests or research?

      There are none that I've heard of. It is a fairly difficult test to
      accomplish accurately without expensive wind tunnel time (hence the "mount it
      on a truck" technique. I'd think Gaastra would give the honest results for
      three reasons: 1) They've always given reliable information in the past, 2)
      They make better sails now than when they were doing the tests, & 3) There are
      no better numbers available from other manufacturers that would make the
      Gaastra numbers look bad. I'll try starting at www.gaastra.com and e-mail
      them about their "ADTR" results.

      Tom
      Captain Kirk's Windsurfing

    • srosso@bunge.com.br
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 1999
        << *I wonder if there have been any independent university tests or
        research?

        When I was at university we knew about the Gaastra ADTR and thought of
        working on a sensor relay system so you could go out sailing and relay
        performance of the sail to a laptop on the beach - problem was there was no
        budget and the guy who tried to get the sail lofts interested got no
        response from them - they didnt even fax him back to say no...

        too bad for them - its not often you get MIT graduates to work on a project
        for you at 6 $ and hour and no overtime...

        the university gave us 500 $ which was enough to buy some four by fours for
        a rig base and to machine a Universal joint with load sensors - never got
        it out into the water (because water is wet and salty and screws up
        electronic equipment)

      • Debra Smith and Paul Watson
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 1999
          Tom, refering to Gaastra's performance testing of windsurfer sails wrote:

          I'd think Gaastra would give the honest results for
          >three reasons: 1) They've always given reliable information in the past, 2)
          >They make better sails now than when they were doing the tests, & 3) There
          are
          >no better numbers available from other manufacturers that would make the
          >Gaastra numbers look bad. I'll try starting at www.gaastra.com and e-mail
          >them about their "ADTR" results.

          ***Thank you, Tom, I would be interested to find out more. Incidentally,
          have you heard any news concerning planned production or prototype testing
          of marine kites by the windsurfing sail lofts?

          Smooth Winds,

          Paul Watson

        • Martin Rothwell
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3, 1999
            Debra Smith and Paul Watson wrote:

            > Incidentally, have you heard any news concerning planned production or
            > prototype testing
            > of marine kites by the windsurfing sail lofts?

            Hi folks!

            A friend who is one of the top Junior Windsurfers here in the UK and also works
            in a windsurf shop was telling me before Christmas that they had had Robby Naish
            in recently and there is supposed to be a Naish Kite to be launched (he thought
            by March?).

            Does anyone know anything more?

            Martin

          • Dave Culp
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 3, 1999
              Check out: http://www.popsci.com/context/features/kites/

              --
              Dave Culp Speedsailing dave@... http://www.dcss.org/speedsl
              Kite powered boats, high speed sailing, proas and more. Check it out!

            • Dave Culp