[ksurf] AW: Size of kites <-> size of sails

  • Mulder B.E. (Ben)
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 1999
      > You talk about 6sqm-c-qauds, 8sqm wipikas and so on. I remember when I was
      > doing windsurfing I was using sails between 8sqm for light winds and
      > something like 4 to 5sqm for strong winds. Is this observation correct?
      >
      > Then comes the next question: the advantage of using a kite is that the
      > apparent wind for a kite is higher than for a windsurf sail, because you
      > are moving the kite across the windwindow. Shouldn't this permit to use
      > smaller kites?
      First of all, I think that a windsurfsail has a much better upwind
      performance than a kite (any kite). Then the sail is also directly fitted to
      the board. That is the reason why windsurfing has better upwindperformance.
      Have you ever met a beach(sand)surfer while you were buggying? On the
      halfwind courses you will get a much higher speed but if you go upwind they
      will surf away from you.
      In kitesurfing they use small(er) boards than windsurfing. In low wind you
      then need a big(ger) kite, in high winds you can do with a small(er) kite.
      It also depends on the model kite. I have kitesurfed in very high winds when
      surfers used 4 sqm sails and I had a 3 sqm quad. In low winds I needed at
      least 7 sqm while the windsurfers needed 6.
      For kiteskiing there is the advantage that the kite pulls you up while in
      windsurfing the sail tries to pull you sideways.
      In kiteskiing you stand much more forward on the board than with
      windsurfing.
      Now try to figure it out further.