Re: [ksurf] Re: Cheap Wipika Copies?

  • S.Tonini
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2000
      OK - so I think we can all agree that there is no confirmation as to
      who Wipika may be referring to with the disclaimer. Wipika would
      probably want to make the statement open-ended anyway, otherwise they
      themselves would be legally liable from other manufacturers who may
      be perfectly legit.

      Ergo, disregard the disclaimer - maybe this was Wipika's method of
      "fostering customer loyalty".

      Steve
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2000
        And i' have been told that Wipika (Legaignoux) intended an action against Seasmik, in
        France, but lost.
        It concerned the "semi-hemispheric" = (arch) shape of the kite.
        Any information ?

        > ** Original Subject: RE: [ksurf] Re: Cheap Wipika Copies?
        > ** Original Sender: "David Raue" <theraves@...>
        > ** Original Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 03:19:36 +0200 (MET DST)

        > ** Original Message follows...

        > ----------
        > > From: S.Tonini <stonini@...>
        > > To: kitesurf@egroups.com
        > > Subject: [ksurf] Re: Cheap Wipika Copies?
        > > Date: Friday, April 28, 2000 2:30 AM
        > >
        > > I think they are referring to the companies Wipika deems as not
        > > legally compliant (ie patent infrigement), such as Seasmik and
        > > DaVinci. These two are using the infamous "inflatable bladder"
        > > concept so avidly protected and patented by Wipika.
        >
        > Here we go again, bad information never seems to die....
        >
        > Sorry to start this all over, but the inflatable bladder is absolutely NOT
        > part of Wipika's US patent. They have no claim to this idea whatever,
        > what's patented is the geometry of the kite an its bridleless design. The
        > patent is in the vault, have a look unless somebody deleted it. So
        > whatever they're talking about, it isn't this. BTW, if Wipika knows that
        > infringement is occuring and they don't take steps to prevent it, their
        > patent become invalid.
        >
        > Dave

        > windTools - producer of the legendary Mosquito Pro KS
        > Get the right kitesurfingstuff.
        >
        > Visit http://www.windTools.com

      • Dave Raue
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2000
          --- In kitesurf@egroups.com, xpert@w... wrote:
          > And i' have been told that Wipika (Legaignoux) intended an action
          against Seasmik, in France, but lost.
          > It concerned the "semi-hemispheric" = (arch) shape of the kite.
          > Any information ?

          <<<snip>>>

          Interesting! If true, it's surprising that Wipika initiated such an
          action, but not surprising they lost. See the cover page from the
          patent in the vault. The Seasmic and Davinci are NOT semi-
          hemishperic and ARE supported by bridles - totally different from
          Wipika patent. Batwings, inflatable, single skin aren't enough to
          infringe. So it doesn't make much sense that Wipika would go after
          anybody in this way unless they don't understand the meaning of their
          own patent - not likely!!

          Dave
        • Stefano Rosso
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2000
            Wipika had some problems in 1997 with French copies - they stopped making them. This is what that comment referred to. They never updated their page. (in case they start again ?) They DO NOT refer to naishes or other "inflatable leading edge" kites but to exactly what they said "cheap copies".