Re: [ksurf] Re: Is this a good setup for a beginner? AR 3.5 9.0 and 6'board?

  • KiteBoard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2000
      In a message dated 00-04-30 03:34:47 EDT, stonini@... writes:

      << AR 5 might be a little tricky >>

      I now* completely agree. I rode with a 7.0 about a couple dozen times before
      swithcing to the 7.5, & even then I regretted it for a while, primarily due
      to line tangling on EVERY landing.
      *I'd formerly thought it might be okay to start with a 7.5 (until I used one
      myself ! )

      << On the other hand, the 3.5 is very good for learning, and also a
      great kite for the more advanced. Example: once you are confident
      sailing with the original 2-line set-up, you can convert the kite to
      4-line, thereby benefitting from being able to sheet in/out, just
      like with the AR 5. >>

      I couldn't have put it better myself.

      << Board - 6 foot might be a little too short ......... the
      kite flying part is really the predominant aspect of the sport,
      rather than the board element. >>

      Again, very well put. That's why it's so important to get as much practice
      as possible with the kite on land (you can learn several needed skills even
      in winds far to light to use a board anyway). If you think you'll outgrow a
      7' board, just get a cheap used 7' (or bigger) surfboard & bolt footstraps
      right through the bottom with "fender" washers underneath.

      Mel
    • Trent Corbett
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 30, 2000
        > AR 5 might be a little tricky for a complete beginner to quickly get
        > up to speed through the learning process. ...
        > On the other hand, the 3.5 is very good for learning.

        Okay, so how hard would it be to get a larger aspect ratio kite
        like a Naish 3.5 (or a wipika classic) , chop the trailing edge
        - converting it to a higer aspect, and then convert it to 4 lines?

        Cheers,

        Trent Corbett
        Melbourne, Australia
      • David Trewern
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 30, 2000
          > Okay, so how hard would it be to get a larger aspect ratio kite
          > like a Naish 3.5 (or a wipika classic) , chop the trailing edge
          > - converting it to a higer aspect, and then convert it to 4 lines?

          I think that chopping the trailing edge would take more away from
          performance than it would add. The AR5 has much thinner battens because
          of the higher aspect ratio - so you would end up with a really fat and un
          efficient kite. It would also be much smaller. My 7.5 AR5 has a longer
          leading edge than my old 9.0 AR 3.5.

          A 4 line Wipika Freeair or Naish AR3.5 is a great kite anyway - and I
          wouldn't muck with it - unless you want a much smaller kite - that may
          perform a little strangly

          DT
        • S.Tonini
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2000
            Yikes...unless you are a professional wing/sail designer, I wouldn't
            mess with it. Even then, I still wouldn't mess with it, since the
            kites are designed to operate "as one", with geometry designed
            holistically. I think that cutting away bits and pieces will probably
            detract more than add benefits. You may be in for a negative
            surprise, which by then will be irreversible.

            Plus, it would be very difficult to re-sell a kite modified to that
            extent.

            Steve