Re: [ksurf] Re: hi guys

  • Mark Frasier
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12, 2000
      At 08:56 PM 04/12/2000 -0000, you wrote:
      >An interesting request, Dustmuffin - asking everyone here to do your
      >homework for you instead of doing it yourself. Hard to take
      >seriously. Get the lead out and look in the archives, or maybe
      >rec.pokemon
      >
      >But be warned - kitesurfing is not at all interesting or
      >hip. It's for washed-out old men who have given up real sports and
      >it isn't much fun either since it's so hard to learn. It's also
      >dangerous and has been outlawed in most advanced countries unless you
      >can get past the licensing process. Last but not least it's
      >extremely expensive. A starter set-up will set you back at least
      >$10,000, maybe $15,000 if you stick with the good stuff.

      Hey don't listen to this guy. You can start kitesurfing with a plastic
      garbage bag, 200 ft of 1/4" manilla rope, a broomstick and 4x8 sheet of
      1/2" CDX plywood. For increased performance you can staple some aluminum
      foil fins on your plywood. Total cost about $10, less if you can find a
      poorly-guarded building site. With this set up you can really get going -
      I've seen guys speeding along almost as fast as I can walk. You can get
      over a foot of air with hangtimes of .1 sec. or more (if the waves are big
      enough).

      He is right about one thing - rec.pokemon is a cool group.

      Check out this site:
      http://tor-pw1.netcom.ca/~hungvu/kitesurfing.htm

      Have fun!

      Mark Frasier