[ksurf] Re: 4-line bar

  • Saul Davies
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 3, 2000
      > If you're powered up control is more than adequate with a bar.
      Landing is
      > just as easy with a 3 or 4-line bar. Launching can be more difficult
      > because you can't brake a tip if the kite tries to surge and roll
      over. A
      > bar probably insulates the kite from some extreme pilot movement.
      Handle
      > movements can be quite subtle whereas you can fling the bar about
      with a
      > bit more gusto, which is fun.
      >
      > A bar is easier for line management. You can figure-8 wrap the
      lines
      across
      > a bar much faster than wrapping around handles. Also easier to
      unwind the
      > lines as the figure-8 wrap does not put twist into the lines which
      makes
      > line-overs a little more difficult to undo. If you do twist the
      lines it's
      > easier to spin the bar to unwrap them. Handles are more likely to
      hook up
      > on or pass through each other. It's also good to just grab the end
      of your
      > foil and roll the kite around a bar.
      >
      > It's much easier to hang on to one bar with two hands rather than
      two
      > handles with one hand each.
      >
      > You should have a safety leash with a bar. It's not so necessary
      with
      > handles because your hands are on the brakes all the time.

      thanks greg (and everyone else)

      this is exactly the kind of info I wanted - not '20 reasons why
      handles are great!' - if you read my original post you'd see I've
      been
      using handles for 2 years (and as I'm a student that's a lot of
      flying!) and know all about them!

      Cheers

      Saul

      PS - sorry about posting the first message twice!
    • Eric Savener
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 3, 2000
        As a beginner, I'm having trouble working hard to keep the kite in
        the power zone while trying to balance on my board. Why not double
        the length of the lines from 100 ft. to 200 ft.? Without getting too
        technical - wouldn't this double the amount of time the kite stays
        powered up? If I have enough beach and I'm willing to wrap up all
        the extra line afterwards, why not? The only downside I can see
        would be a little extra drag, but it looks worth it. Somebody please
        shoot holes in this before I go spending $$$.

        Eric

        writes:

        > << Being underpowered is a horrible thing. Better to use a bigger
        kite. >>

        > Exactly.
        >
        > The maneuverability-induced power IS nice to extend the lower end
        of
        the wind
        > range when desperate, like getting back to the beach when it dies,
        or going
        > out when it's light but you need a "fix".
        >
        > Mel
        >

        > kiteboar-@... wrote:
        > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=11977
        > > In a message dated 3/31/00 8:56:04 AM Pacific Standard Time,
        > > theraves@... writes:
        > >
        > > << You can also work the kite much harder than a bar or 2-line set
        > up, so
        > > you can potentially get more power out of the kite (all other
        things
        > > equal). This is a kind of antidote to long lines for low wind
        that
        > the
        > > 2-liners have never experinced (nor have the 4-line sled folks,
        they
        > > just control power). >>
        > >
        > > The 4-line sleds are MUCH more maneuverable than the 2-lines.
        >
        > OK, can't disagree, never flew one so it was supposition on my
        part.
        > Sounds like a good thing!
        >
        > > Extra
        > > maneuverability helps ONLY if you're underpowered, whether from
        > 4-lining a
        > > sled, or using handles on a foil.
        >
        > Absolutely agree, that's the point. Basically the long lines are
        > helping in underpowered situations by letting the kite spend more
        time
        > in The Zone. A similar result can be effected by keeping the kite
        > moving fast with high maneuverability. Being underpowered is a
        > horrible thing. Better to use a bigger kite.

        > Conceived and designed by Kitesurfers . . . To ride and fly longer
        and higher

        > Visit http://www.kitesurf.com

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=kitesurf&m=1
      • Stephen McCormack
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2000
          Hi Greg and Saul

          > Handles are the ultimate in control in marginal conditions. Nothing,
          except
          > some of the hybrid bars (Advance or Windtools) will match the
          > responsiveness of handles. In fully powered up conditions you really only
          > need the responsiveness to avert near certain kite crashes.

          Handles give a flyer the most feedback in all conditions. Bars limit
          respoiveness but increase leverage, so they "feel" very different, hence the
          2 fan clubs!! :-))
          Not really true once you have become accustomed to the power much less input
          is needed when powered up, basically the kite is parked slightly sine waving
          perhaps.

          > If you're powered up control is more than adequate with a bar. Landing is
          > just as easy with a 3 or 4-line bar. Launching can be more difficult
          > because you can't brake a tip if the kite tries to surge and roll over. A
          > bar probably insulates the kite from some extreme pilot movement. Handle
          > movements can be quite subtle whereas you can fling the bar about with a
          > bit more gusto, which is fun.

          Control with a bar is more than adequate in all conditions IMO :-) but I am
          addicted to handles!

          > A bar is easier for line management. You can figure-8 wrap the lines
          across
          > a bar much faster than wrapping around handles. Also easier to unwind the
          > lines as the figure-8 wrap does not put twist into the lines which makes
          > line-overs a little more difficult to undo. If you do twist the lines it's
          > easier to spin the bar to unwrap them. Handles are more likely to hook up
          > on or pass through each other. It's also good to just grab the end of your
          > foil and roll the kite around a bar.

          Line managemant is a matter of following procedures that work, I guarantee I
          can wind up my lines onto my handles and unwind again with no twists or
          tangles as quick as anyone with a bar. There is no need to figure 8 on a bar
          if you always hold the same one end of your bar when wrapping and
          unwrapping.
          And I always wrap my line to about 2 M from the knots at the kite end and
          then fold one end of my foil in and wrap the whole lot up like it was fish
          and chips.

          > It's much easier to hang on to one bar with two hands rather than two
          > handles with one hand each.

          Is it? I think this is a very subjective thing and is one of the main
          differences that people can identify easily. When I fly using handles and a
          Peter Lynn backstrap I actually have 2 hands free at all times to assist
          getting my board sorted etc. I fly the kite with my shoulders only.

          > You should have a safety leash with a bar. It's not so necessary with
          > handles because your hands are on the brakes all the time.

          Safety leashes should be used on all kites, especially when beggining, they
          are very easy to make yourself. Hope this helps cya and
          Goodwinds
          Steve McCormack
          www.kitepoweraustralia.com
          kitepower@...
        • Steve Bateman
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 4, 2000
            Dave Raue wrote:

            > With 200 feet you're going to either get so much
            > drag that the brakes are always on OR your brake lines will need to be so
            > slack that they won't work anyway. So it's NOT worth it, at least with 4
            > lines.

            I disagree. I fly my XXXL on 170 foot of line, 4 line mode. Works
            fine.
            I got plenty of slack in the brakes, and I can work the brakes just
            fine.

            Long lines give you plenty of room for error, and since I fly kites
            that aren't water relaunchable, that's important for me. Long lines
            do make jumps harder, especially in low wind range for the kite.

            --
            Steve Bateman geokite at excite dot com