[ksurf] Re: Help me please!!!

  • Michel Montmigny
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 11, 1999
      Martin Rothwell wrote:

      > Hello everyone!
      >
      > Hope you all had a good weekend with good wind for Kitesurfing. I am
      > hoping that someone can answer a few questions and explain where I am
      > going wrong.
      >
      > I have been kitesurfing whenever possible for the last 6-8 months. I
      > have 8.5 and 3.5sqm Wipikas and use a 2.15 F-One Kitesurf board. I weigh
      > 80kg. This weekend I used the 8.5 in about 20 Knots of wind with 15
      > metre lines (two lined wing). The session was the best so far. It was
      > pretty extreme and the fastest I have ever been. It seems to me that it
      > is easier to kitesurf when the wind is at the top end of the scale
      > rather than the bottom. Does anyone agree?
      >
      > I have two problems which I need help with:
      >
      > 1. I cannot go upwind yet. What is the secret? Some of you have said in
      > equipment I use is not the best to learn with or is it just my
      > technique? I have thought about trying bigger fins or moving the
      > footsraps forward so my weight is more central on the board to get more
      > rail in the water or even trying a bigger board. How do you do it? Any
      > tips?
      >
      > 2. What is the best technique for a gybe turn? I have been trying to
      > throw myself into the turn keeping my feet in position and then as I
      > come out of the turn facing the opposite direction I try and change my
      > feet. It is at this point I crash and burn.
      >
      > These are the two main problems. I can always get up and going and even
      > pull a little air although sometimes unexpected.
      >
      > I hope someone can help me.
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >
      > Martin
      > UK Kitesurfer (trying)

      > For the absolute lowest price on Video/PC Games:
      > CLICK HERE!
      >
      > eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/kitesurf
      > Free Web-based e-mail groups by www.eGroups.com

      Hello Martin,

      for sure the Wipika is a very good kite for water purpose because it
      float. But for sure it' is not the best to go upwind.
      You will have better performance (a lot) with Soft TRACTIONtm kites or a
      delta.

      Michel Montminy
      Concept Air

    • srosso@bunge.com.br
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 11, 1999
        === heres my 2 cents

        It seems to me that it
        is easier to kitesurf when the wind is at the top end of the scale
        rather than the bottom. Does anyone agree?
        === sure ! actually i would say the middle is the most comfortable - 20kts
        for a wipika 8.5 seems like a lot to me.

        1. I cannot go upwind yet. <snip>Any tips?
        Moving forward on the board does help a bit - just move the straps all the
        way forward and then you move the back foot to the middle of the board -
        its not stable but it helps. the 8.5 wipika needs about 13-15 kts to go
        upwind well (from mine and others experience) and you need to feel that you
        are really pushing with your legs - if you r legs dont hurt you are not
        going upwind.

        2. What is the best technique for a gybe turn? <SNIP> It is at this point I
        crash and burn.

        == Switch your feet fast ! if i remember correctly you are a surfer so you
        are not used to switvching your feet - you could practice on a surfboard !
        Its like when you learn to surf and you have to get up on the board in one
        smooth move - it has to become automatic.

        my best tip is to try and keep some power in the kite so it gives you some
        lift and holds you up and makes you more stable - I think it is probably
        easier for people that come from windsurfing as we have been practicing for
        years but it is (like in windsurfing) a psychological barrier - Its much
        easier than you think if you stop thinking about it

      • Steve Shapson
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 11, 1999
          Ram air foils(kites) do work better for upwind, but they don't relaunch
          off the water. Foils are great for snow, grass or hard surfaces.
          However, I would like to hear from people about how easily you can
          relaunch the Wipika. I am considering this sail for water kiteskiing
          and kitesailing.

          Steve Shapson
          Force 10 Foils
          www.execpc.com/~force10

        • Raphaël
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 11, 1999
            Contrarely to your belief, we actually are providing foils (kite) that are
            designed to be relaunched from the water, and they do work a lot better for
            upwind performance than a Wipika.

            However I have a few Wipika, they were the only kite up to now to allow a
            high ratio of successfull water relaunch. As long as the wind is strong
            enough, theyr are extremely easy. I could almost say a little bit to easy
            eventually.

            All you have to do is (on the water)to let it drift downwind then position
            it correctly so it will rest on its ear(??) and finally let it go upwind,
            gliding on the water surface until it reach the windows edge. It will then
            take off slowly.

            Raphael
            Raphael@...

          • Martin Rothwell
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 12, 1999
              Steve Shapson wrote:

              > I would like to hear from people about how easily you can
              > relaunch the Wipika. I am considering this sail for water kiteskiing
              > and kitesailing.

              Hi Steve!

              I find the Wipika will re-launch from water at least 80% of the time. It
              launches better the more wind there is and the 20% when it doesn't is when
              it's dumped in the shorebreak, swamped by water and/or not really enough
              wind to get it going again. I sailed at the weekend and it didn't hit the
              water once so no worries at all.

              Martin

            • srosso@bunge.com.br
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 12, 1999
                JIBE :
                Same problem with 15 m lines its really difficult to jibe .
                Use 40 m .
                1 Place the kite half way , between the water and the top .
                2 Take you back foot out from back footstrap .

                AHA ! I forgot to tell you this martin - you have to take your back foor
                out of the strap before you start your jibe - you mentioned you kept your
                feet in the straps throughout the whole turn ! I imagine you have a hard
                time getting your feet out once you are twisted !

                sorry - this is something we windsurfers take for granted because you need
                the extra pressure on the inside rail !

              • antoine carretero
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 12, 1999
                  ----------
                  > De : Raphaël <Raphael@...> wrotte >
                  >Contrarely to your belief, we actually are providing foils (kite) that are
                  >designed to be relaunched from the water,.... >>>>>>

                  please raphael , can you explain us how you relauche the two lines kite .,
                  sory with my experience i can undersdtand how you can restart a two lines
                  kite ( soft kites )
                  when the front part is on the water ????

                  do you think that it'll be more beter and more easy in 3 lines or 4 lines
                  !!!!

                  Antoine Carretero

                  ADVANCE KITES Tethis and Janus . iO in april
                  E mail : team-advance-kites@...
                  http://www.advance-kites.com

                • Michel Montmigny
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 12, 1999
                    Steve Shapson wrote:

                    > Ram air foils(kites) do work better for upwind, but they don't relaunch
                    > off the water. Foils are great for snow, grass or hard surfaces.
                    > However, I would like to hear from people about how easily you can
                    > relaunch the Wipika. I am considering this sail for water kiteskiing
                    > and kitesailing.
                    >
                    > Steve Shapson
                    > Force 10 Foils
                    > www.execpc.com/~force10

                    > For the absolute lowest price on
                    > Software:
                    > CLICK HERE!
                    >
                    > eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/kitesurf
                    > Free Web-based e-mail groups by www.eGroups.com

                    Hello Steeve,

                    Here Michel Montminy from CONCEPT AIR TRACTIONtm KITES.

                    As you probably know, we do work very hard in developping soft kites for
                    any purposes that exist.

                    Since July 1998 we do have a waterstart kites (no balloon)that really
                    work very well.
                    And we also practice kitesurf since one year and we do have practice it
                    in any conditions.
                    And I can insure you that TRACTIONtm kites can be relaunched from water
                    at 70%. For sure the pilot has to control it perfectly but it's working.

                    We use both systems handles or bar to ride.
                    Handles in 4 lines give a better and faster control.
                    Bar is a lot smoothest.

                    I know that I dont answer to your question, but I fund it very important
                    to tell you that foils CAN relaunch from water.

                    Have very nice breeze

                    michel

                  • Martin Rothwell
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 12, 1999
                      =?Windows-1252?B?UmFwaGHrbA==?= wrote:

                      > De : Raphaël Salles
                      > A : Martin Rothwell
                      >
                      > Are you always sailing with so short lines ?

                      No. I change line length depending on the wind strength. Why is it nearly
                      impossible to go upwind with short lines? I thought that shorter lines would
                      create less drag/resistance????

                      >From what you say it sounds like I need more lines. I will be trying this soon.

                      Many thanks

                      Martin

                    • Martin Rothwell
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 12, 1999
                        Thanks for your help everyone. I have a clearer idea now and look forward to
                        trying all your suggestions out this coming weekend. English weather
                        permitting that is!!!!

                        Martin.

                        srosso@... wrote:

                        > JIBE :
                        > Same problem with 15 m lines its really difficult to jibe .
                        > Use 40 m .
                        > 1 Place the kite half way , between the water and the top .
                        > 2 Take you back foot out from back footstrap .
                        >
                        > AHA ! I forgot to tell you this martin - you have to take your back foor
                        > out of the strap before you start your jibe - you mentioned you kept your
                        > feet in the straps throughout the whole turn ! I imagine you have a hard
                        > time getting your feet out once you are twisted !
                        >
                        > sorry - this is something we windsurfers take for granted because you need
                        > the extra pressure on the inside rail !

                        > eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/kitesurf

                      • alex gillan
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 12, 1999
                          G'day Steve

                          I've got a WIPIKA 8.5 m and have had no trouble relaunching from water
                          except once when the kite landed in a 3 foot shore break which filled the
                          kite with water and sand.

                          100% success at un assisted relaunching away from the shore (which is where
                          it counts)

                          Alex Gillan

                          Australia.

                          >> Ram air foils(kites) do work better for upwind, but they don't relaunch
                          >> off the water. Foils are great for snow, grass or hard surfaces.
                          >> However, I would like to hear from people about how easily you can
                          >> relaunch the Wipika. I am considering this sail for water kiteskiing
                          >> and kitesailing.
                          >>
                          >> Steve Shapson
                          >> Force 10 Foils
                          >> www.execpc.com/~force10

                          >> For the absolute lowest price on
                          >> Software:
                          >> CLICK HERE!
                          >>
                          >> eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/kitesurf
                          >> Free Web-based e-mail groups by www.eGroups.com
                          >
                          >Hello Steeve,
                          >
                          >Here Michel Montminy from CONCEPT AIR TRACTIONtm KITES.
                          >
                          >As you probably know, we do work very hard in developping soft kites for
                          >any purposes that exist.
                          >
                          >Since July 1998 we do have a waterstart kites (no balloon)that really
                          >work very well.
                          >And we also practice kitesurf since one year and we do have practice it
                          >in any conditions.
                          >And I can insure you that TRACTIONtm kites can be relaunched from water
                          >at 70%. For sure the pilot has to control it perfectly but it's working.
                          >
                          >We use both systems handles or bar to ride.
                          >Handles in 4 lines give a better and faster control.
                          >Bar is a lot smoothest.
                          >
                          >I know that I dont answer to your question, but I fund it very important
                          >to tell you that foils CAN relaunch from water.
                          >
                          >Have very nice breeze
                          >
                          >michel

                          >For the absolute lowest price on software visit:
                          >http://www.bottomdollar.com/egroups/
                          >
                          >eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/kitesurf

                        • Eric Steinbroner
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 12, 1999
                            Raphaël said:

                            "However I have a few Wipika, they were the only kite up to now to allow a
                            high ratio of successfull water relaunch. As long as the wind is strong
                            enough, theyr are extremely easy. I could almost say a little bit to easy
                            eventually."

                            Actually, the Kiteski kite with the control bar allows for relaunching as
                            well. In my opinion, a system like the Kiteski system is much better than a
                            kite that is always powered up or pops off of the water. Here are my
                            reasons:

                            1) You can launch virtually anywhere. Where I go, about 200 windsurfers
                            and I walk down a concrete ramp and hop in the water. There are literally
                            thirty people all around me (in front, in back, to the sides). I lift the
                            kite out of the water, shake the water off, then let the lines out above my
                            head. I have the kite tuned so that it stays above my head without falling.
                            When I'm ready to go, I put the kite in the power zone and go.

                            2) You can de power whenever you need to by dropping the kite in the water.
                            As it drops in the water, it lays flat on the water, therefore no power.
                            This is especially nice when coming back in. As I head to the launch ramp I
                            look for about 30 Meters of area below me. As the kite hits the water I
                            start to reel in the line. It takes about 2 minutes. No need to go chase a
                            kite along the beach.

                            There are some downsides with the Kiteski kite. The biggest one is that the
                            front spar is carbon and can hurt someone. I believe that the danger is
                            very small, and is smaller than the danger of runaway soft kites with the
                            lines possibly hurting someone. The other downside comes from landing the
                            kite in the surf.... potentially the spars can break. For me this is not an
                            issue.

                            I'd like to see more kites built that can "float" in the water, and
                            relaunched after reeling in.

                            Eric

                          • alex gillan
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 12, 1999
                              Hey Good point.

                              I've knocked a few people off the beach when I come in to powered up

                              ...Alex

[...]

                              HarmonyHouse.com gives you 20% off all CDs all the time!
                              HarmonyHouse.com has over 150,000 titles available right now!
                              So what are you waiting for? Check out http://offers.egroups.com/click/175/0
                              Music is all we do.

                            • Debra Smith and Paul Watson
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 12, 1999
                                Eric Steinbroner wrote,
                                >I'd like to see more kites built that can "float" in the water, and
                                >relaunched after reeling in.

                                Perhaps this is not a bad point. Although (so far) unapproachable as an
                                'automatic' re-launch kite, the Wipika is not infallible. I have seen
                                Wipikas flown by experienced kite flyers (and ksurfers) crash and drown in
                                surf (not able to be presented to the wind for re-launch) - even in
                                sufficiently strong wind. I had tended to think of reel-in relaunch systems
                                as something of a clumsy anacronism untill this point (Perhaps this is
                                because I have not been fortunate enough to have tried a system such as the
                                Kiteski one!). However, I presently think that they will find their place in
                                the race to make ksurfing systems more userfriendly, consistent and
                                practicable.
                                The further development of the sport of ksurf will depend upon designing
                                even more consistency into our kite systems. I'm am inclined to think that a
                                sport cannot evolve around a single product (i.e. the Wipika). No matter how
                                good the product is (and the Wipika is superb - let there be no mistake
                                about this point!!), its limitations in crucial areas will not satisfy the
                                kitesurfing imagination.
                                Speaking of the kitesurfing imagination, has anyone heard of any
                                successful attempts to make a quadline reel-in system ( I can imagine many
                                of the problems with such a proposed system)? I have seen pictures of what
                                seem to be winders on individual quad handles - made by the irrepressible
                                Peter Lynn (Did they work? What were the problems involved? - I wonder...).
                                Could a reel in system be made to work with a Smartbar set-up? I'd love to
                                see a practical cure (apart from pilot skill - which is fallible!) for the
                                dreaded 'flat landing' which affects the otherwise cheap, extremely
                                efficient (beats parafoils by a considersble margin!!!), and powerful hybrid
                                style of kite - i.e. the Peter Lynn C-Quad.

                                Smooth winds to all,
                                Paul Watson

                              • Paul Sexstone
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 12, 1999
                                  the cquads are now waterlaunchable, without reeling in, very sucessfully
                                  too.

                                • srosso@bunge.com.br
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 13, 1999
                                    has anyone heard of any
                                    successful attempts to make a quadline reel-in system ( I can imagine many
                                    of the problems with such a proposed system)? I have seen pictures of what
                                    seem to be winders on individual quad handles - made by the irrepressible
                                    Peter Lynn (Did they work? What were the problems involved? - I wonder...).

                                    === Peter told me he made them, they worked well but they are expensive and
                                    a hassle to use so they preferred not to go into production - I imagine
                                    that this could change if they figures out a better system

                                    Could a reel in system be made to work with a Smartbar set-up?

                                    ==== THAT !! is what i would like !

                                  • Raphaël
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 13, 1999
                                      I never tried Cory's system, so I cannot comment on it as well. I have
                                      however to agree that the reeling bar is extremely advantageous for all
                                      kites as you mentioned, it allows you to start even in crowded zone (with
                                      people or trees).

                                      As for the rest, I agree that it will be a lot harder to control the Wipika
                                      than Cory's delta on landing as it does not depower as well.

                                      F-One, in this optic developed its own kites that are almost flat foils and
                                      do allow a better control.

                                      Raphael Baruch
                                      www.Kitesurf.com

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 13, 1999
                                        I forgot to mentionned the interesting characteristics of the F-One
                                        (http://www.kitesurf.com/F-One/TheWings/thewings.htm) kite:

                                        They do not have any spars, it is a soft foil.

                                        They do float (filled with air) in their flying configuration for about 5
                                        minutes before deflating.

                                        They do waterstart

                                        They can easilly depower and get used with a reeling bar that should be
                                        available soon.

                                        Raphael Baruch
                                        www.KiteSurf.com

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 13, 1999
                                          Alex wrote: I've knocked a few people off the beach when I come in to
                                          powered up

                                          Realllllllllllllllly Alex. Well, I suppose since you're so dangerous and
                                          can't control your equipment or you sport, kitesurfing may soon be
                                          banned at more beaches.

                                          We've seen this happen on beaches where people kite buggy, so all you
                                          kitesurfers out there should get it together and realize that if people
                                          get hurt due to someone's inability to watch out for civilians, don't be
                                          mad when the sport doesn't grow.

                                          IT"S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO WATCH OUT FOR ALL CIVILIANS.

                                        • Cory Roeseler
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 13, 1999
                                            Paul,

                                            I've been flying my modified Kiteski control bar as a 4 liner, this winter,
                                            but I don't see the big advantage for 4 line kites for the water
                                            application. It seems any benefit from improved maneuverability or trimming
                                            is negated by the complexity and added drag of the extra lines.

                                            Cory

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jan 13, 1999
                                              Cory,

                                              Thank you for the feed back on your efforts with reel-in quad lines. I have
                                              a few questions regarding your experiment:
                                              1. How did you modify your Kiteski bar? Were you using a minimally modified
                                              straight bar? If so, where did you place the exit points for the respective
                                              lines? (e.g. Did you have the brakes outboard of the main lines?)
                                              3.You mentioned trimming capability. Did your set-up allow any pitch
                                              control. I am imagining that your straight Kiteski bar (if you used it
                                              without major modification) would not allow overall pitch variation (in any
                                              manner that I can imagine!)
                                              2. Did you have any/much trouble with differential wind-in? The brake lines
                                              would be particularly sensitive to this problem, I imagine.

                                              The reason for my interest in reel-in quadlines is that I think that this
                                              system can potentially offer benefits for some kinds of kite which can
                                              dramatically improve their relaunch capability. It sounds like your kite is
                                              well optimised for dual line flight (simplicity is always a virtue, I
                                              agree!) and the addition of brake lines would have all of the benefits of a
                                              third wheel (I am a motorcyclist!). The sort of kite that such a system
                                              would improve is the hybrid style of kite (such as the C-Quad) invented by
                                              Peter Lynn and optimised for quad flight. The "Smartbar" that Lynn offers
                                              allows the significant separation of pitch from roll/yaw bar movement (it is
                                              not a straight bar). This allows reverse relaunching, inflight "depowering"
                                              and useful pitch control (not to mention rapid turning). To my mind, the
                                              addition of a practical winch system to such a bar would complete the
                                              picture for this kind of kite.

                                              Smooth Winds,

                                              Paul Watson

                                              Cory's Original Message: