[ksurf] Help me please!!!

  • Martin Rothwell
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 1999
      Hello everyone!

      Hope you all had a good weekend with good wind for Kitesurfing. I am
      hoping that someone can answer a few questions and explain where I am
      going wrong.

      I have been kitesurfing whenever possible for the last 6-8 months. I
      have 8.5 and 3.5sqm Wipikas and use a 2.15 F-One Kitesurf board. I weigh
      80kg. This weekend I used the 8.5 in about 20 Knots of wind with 15
      metre lines (two lined wing). The session was the best so far. It was
      pretty extreme and the fastest I have ever been. It seems to me that it
      is easier to kitesurf when the wind is at the top end of the scale
      rather than the bottom. Does anyone agree?

      I have two problems which I need help with:

      1. I cannot go upwind yet. What is the secret? Some of you have said in
      equipment I use is not the best to learn with or is it just my
      technique? I have thought about trying bigger fins or moving the
      footsraps forward so my weight is more central on the board to get more
      rail in the water or even trying a bigger board. How do you do it? Any
      tips?

      2. What is the best technique for a gybe turn? I have been trying to
      throw myself into the turn keeping my feet in position and then as I
      come out of the turn facing the opposite direction I try and change my
      feet. It is at this point I crash and burn.

      These are the two main problems. I can always get up and going and even
      pull a little air although sometimes unexpected.

      I hope someone can help me.

      Thanks in advance.

      Martin
      UK Kitesurfer (trying)

    • Raphaël
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 11, 1999
        De : Raphaël Salles
        A : Martin Rothwell

        Martin , its difficult to explain you the upwind by mail but I'm sure that
        its nearly impossible to go upwind with a 15 m lines ??
        Are you always sailing with so short lines ?
        For my kites I use 40 m from my 9 m² to my 2 m² some time 30 m .
        With the Wipika 8.5 m² you have to use 40 m in light wind and 30 m in
        stronger wind : 14 to 18 knots . Its really hard to use 8.5 m² over 16 - 18
        knots . Its also difficult to go upwind in the lower and higher part of the
        range with the Wipika , the best is to use it in the middle :10 to 14 knots
        .
        If you are overpower you have to place the kite really close to the water so
        it doesn't pull you rail out of the water .
        If you take too much speed , you will be pull down wind by the kite , try to
        control your board speed by pushing more on the rail .
        Of course a soft kite will give you a much better up wind and wind range .
        With my 6.5 m² I can sail upwind from 7 to 23 knots .
        Best footstrap positions on F.ONE 215 are : front in the second position
        counting from the back and back footstrap on the really back.

        JIBE :
        Same problem with 15 m lines its really difficult to jibe .
        Use 40 m .
        1 Place the kite half way , between the water and the top .
        2 Take you back foot out from back footstrap .
        3 Pull on your back hand to make the kite turning back .
        4 Push on back foot to start turning the board .
        5 Half way of jibing the board kite should be on other tack .
        6 You are finishing the jibe with the board , push one last time on back leg
        and turn you feet around . Kite is already pulling you out of the jibe on
        the right tack .

        See you on the water
        Raphaël Salles
        F-ONE@...