[kitesurf] WIPIKA - 4 lines and bridle

  • srosso@bunge.com.br
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 21, 1998
      Question to Bruno (posted to the list as there may be more people
      interested)

      Hello Bruno,

      I was wondering on what you think of 4 lines on a Wipika.

      Can i get more "useful" power if i have more lines ?

      What do you think of the 3 line idea ?

      I tried tightening the bridle (2 lines) and found that allthough the kites
      is quicker to turn it lost a little power and reduced the wind window. If i
      do the reverse, loosen the bridle, will the opposite happen, ie more power
      and bigger window ?

      You mentioned in one message that you had a High aspect ratio Wipika in the
      past. What are the advantages ? Do you plan on producing it again ?

      Thanks

      Stefano

      ----
      Read this list on the Web at http://www.FindMail.com/list/kitesurf/
    • Cory Roeseler
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 21, 1998
        Stefano,

        Peter Lynn used to talk about a max/min pull ratio that was critically
        important for buggying and kitesailing in general. He says the Peel is good
        for kitesailing, because it has a max/min pull ratio close to 1.
        Flexi-foils, by comparison, have a max/min pull ratio of 10 to 100 (ie: you
        can increase the line tension by a factor of 100 if you dive the kite from
        straight over-head to low and downwind.

        I disagree with Peter. I prefer to match the buggy, board, boat, skates,
        skis, or whatever to the best kite given a set of conditions and a desired
        sailing style. A wakeboarder who is only concerned with jumps and wake
        tricks, will go downwind anyway, so a slow kite with a max/min pull ratio
        close to 1 is good. A speed sailor, on the other hand, who wants to set the
        world record with an efficient craft, should take a flexi-foil.

        Wipikas and Kiteskis fall somewhere between the Peel and the Flexi, and
        their use with surfboards, wakeboards, and specially designed kiteboards
        yields a max/min pull ratio on the order of 2 for a Wipika and 4 for a
        Kiteski, all with 2 lines.

        What does this mean? A Wipika sailor can let the kite run out in front for
        about 50 lbs static pull on the lines, or he can send the kite into a sine
        wave for 100 lbs avg pull. This rather modest factor of two makes the kite
        easy to fly, and beginners don't often get into too much trouble. However,
        the more experienced Wipika kitesailors like yourself may want to control
        power over a wider range.

        A Kiteskier can let the kite run out in front for about 50 lbs static pull
        on the lines, or she can
        send the kite into a sine wave to generate as much as 200 lbs avg pull.
        This ability to control power, if mastered, can lead to better upwind
        performance, snappier (higher) jumps, and better range from one size kite.
        The disadvantage is that beginners can unintentionally quadrouple the pull
        on the lines and get pulled right out of their boots.

        Notice, I skirted the 4 line issue, because I believe simpler is better, and
        you can get everything you are looking for with 2 lines.

        ...unless you want to fly backwards...

        Cory

        >Question to Bruno (posted to the list as there may be more people
        >interested)
        >
        >Hello Bruno,
        >
        >I was wondering on what you think of 4 lines on a Wipika.
        >
        >Can i get more "useful" power if i have more lines ?
        >
        >What do you think of the 3 line idea ?
        >
        >I tried tightening the bridle (2 lines) and found that allthough the kites
        >is quicker to turn it lost a little power and reduced the wind window. If i
        >do the reverse, loosen the bridle, will the opposite happen, ie more power
        >and bigger window ?
        >
        >You mentioned in one message that you had a High aspect ratio Wipika in the
        >past. What are the advantages ? Do you plan on producing it again ?
        >
        >Thanks
        >
        >Stefano
        >

        >----
        >Read this list on the Web at http://www.FindMail.com/list/kitesurf/
        >--
        >Start a FREE E-Mail List at http://makelist.com !

        ----
        Read this list on the Web at http://www.FindMail.com/list/kitesurf/
      • Bruno Legaignoux
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 22, 1998
          srosso@... wrote:

          > I was wondering on what you think of 4 lines on a Wipika.

          I sail with 4 line Wipika's for almost 3 years now (first race was the first Euro Parakart in
          October 95). To win races with a Wipika against the best parakites, you need it with 4 lines now.
          I just think that 4 lines is the future for Wipika ! and we are preparing it.
          But for now most people are beginners so we are not in a hurry to sell a special 4 line wing.
          Experienced and motivated people can yet easily change their 2 line wing as a 4 line one.

          > Can i get more "useful" power if i have more lines ?

          The main advantage is that you can depower when you want and what you want (don't compare to a 4
          line parakite, it is really different and a lot more efficient with a Wipika). As the wind never is
          steady, it is very interesting. As you can depower, you can fly a larger wing in x knot wind,
          getting a better upwind angle, being always perfectly powered, etc...

          > What do you think of the 3 line idea ?

          We only have 3 lines attached on the control bar prototypes, so we can say that we fly a 3 line
          wing. But 4 lines start from the wing and 2 of them are attached together near the bar. We can't
          have only 3 lines starting from a Wipika wing.

          > I tried tightening the bridle (2 lines) and found that allthough the kites
          > is quicker to turn it lost a little power and reduced the wind window. If i
          > do the reverse, loosen the bridle, will the opposite happen, ie more power
          > and bigger window ?

          No. It will just be slower to turn. Not interesting, obviously.

          > You mentioned in one message that you had a High aspect ratio Wipika in the
          > past. What are the advantages ? Do you plan on producing it again ?

          Same as 4 line Wipika : when some people will be experienced enough to use high performance Wipika
          wings, we'll sell one.
          Avantages : better upwind ability, faster.
          But there are disadvantages too. Every wing is a compromise between different qualities (easy
          flying, stability, lightness, efficiency, price...).

          Bruno
          WIPIKA - Dominique & Bruno Legaignoux
          26, rue Eugene Boudin - 29000 QUIMPER - FRANCE
          Phone : (33) 2 9890 8379 Fax : (33) 2 9852 1618
          http://www.wipika.com e-mail : wipika@...

          ----
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 22, 1998
            I am curious of how the three line control bar works ?

            I was thinking of trying out 4 lines on the kite but i need to figure out
            the control mechanism.

            ----
            Read this list on the Web at http://www.FindMail.com/list/kitesurf/