[ksurf] Re: prices

  • Cory Roeseler
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 4, 1999
      > We could
      >do this the day before the World Championships that are going to be held in
      >the Gorge this year. I believe it's scheduled for the 11th of July Cory??

      That's right, Eric! We are hosting the World Championships in the Gorge in
      conjunction with the Gorge Games the second week of July. By now, I'm sure
      most of you have booked travel for this epic event. If not, on earth are
      you waiting for?

      Cory

    • Greg.Walsh@dhs.vic.gov.au
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 20 4:36 PM
        It seems that starting with kite surfing is very expensive. The sport is so
        new that schools and equipment hire is still pretty hard to find.

        I bought a non-kitesurf power kite and I've been having a some fun learning
        to drive it. The kite was expensive but still only a quarter of the cost of
        a Wipika. The next step will be to try dragging on my offroad skate board,
        jumping, body dragging and kiteskimming using a body board or a sheet of
        ply wood.

        Once I think I have the kite skills worked out I will buy the kite/s and
        board/s to get into kite surfing. I wanted to wait until there was a range
        of user friendly high performance water relaunchable kites available. These
        kites seem to be coming on to the market now from F-One, Concept Air and
        Advance. Also, the new Wipika style kites seem to be improving the
        inflatable kites a lot.

        I am thinking that a mixed quiver of kites might be a good thing. Perhaps a
        huge C-Quad (cheap and high performance) for light wind flat water, a high
        performance foil for general blasting (expensive but powerful and
        controllable), and a Naish for surf sailing (simple controls and water
        relaunchable). The actual kites may change as the products develop but you
        get the idea.

        sgreen2@... on 21/09/99 03:47:02 AM

        Please respond to kitesurf@egroups.com

        To: kitesurf@egroups.com
        cc: (bcc: Greg Walsh/HeadOffice/DHS)
        Subject: [ksurf] prices

        I was wondering what it would cost to get started in this sport? And
        are there any schools on the Gulf Coast or in the Cocoa Beach Area?

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 20 5:43 PM
          As far as I know there are no kitesurfing schools in central Florida or
          in Florida at all. If there is let me know. In Cocoa Beach it is
          mostly myself and one other hard core kitesurfer.
          You were mentioning how expensive kitesurfing is. It is a lot
          cheaper than windsurfing the only other comparable sport. For the cost
          of one used high perfomance windsurf set up you can get a quiver of new
          kites. If you really hone your kiteflying skills water relaunchability
          of your kites is not that big of a deal or really a concern. It's been
          my experience in the surf that I swim more often windsurfing than I
          have while kitesurfing. Plus, having to swim in while windsurfing is
          usuaully has a tragic i.e. expensive ending (broken masts, broken fins,
          broken booms). But with kitesurfing the worst is that you get a bit of
          a work out paddling. I've had my kites dumped on by hurricane swell
          this season and it did not phase the kite. In heavy surf you would be
          hard pressed to relaunch a wipika style kite and a foil kite will
          probably get swamped when the first white water rolls over it. So the
          best coarse of action is preventative and don't crash.
          Look into Quadrifoil Q2000 series of kites theya re not water
          startable but are not very expensive and perform almost as well as the
          high performance Concept Air and Competition X-series kites. For
          surfing the C-quad is a handfull in the water when it gets dunked. A
          soft foil is good when it gets dunked cause you can ball it up and
          stuff it into a mesh pack your wearing on you back then you can swim in
          very easily.
          see ya
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=5178

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 20 6:02 PM
            The issue with cost is that you can't have a go without buying the gear
            unless you have friends who are already into it. Every town has a
            windsurfing school and you can rent gear to get yourself to the 'going
            along and turning around' stage before you lash out and buy the gear.

            The attraction to kitesurfing for me is the light wind performance. A wide
            tail sailboard is OZ$2500 add a couple of big sails, mast and boom etc
            brings the total to around OZ$4000. A Naish kite and board will cost
            OZ$3000. Cheaper but still a lot of money to start with. Alternatively you
            can get a large C-Quad for OZ$500 and adapt a second hand surfboard for
            $100. Cheap but the C-Quad is reputed to be for skilled hands only. One way
            to kill a sport is to start with gear that is too hard to use. Windsurfing
            has only just worked this out. You've got to start somewhere.
          • Robert Pratt
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 21 5:27 AM
              {{{{{{{COM{{{{{{{{?????????????

              >>> Michel Montmigny <traction@...> 09/21/99 08:34AM >>>
              Hummmm...

              There I dont agree with you when you say that the Q2000 series are almost as the high performance Concept Air kites...

              Q2000 may be very nice kites, but you cant compare it to Concept Air kites when talking about performances.

              It's been prooved during buggy competition and few Ice and snow sailing world championship.

              Have nice breeze and fly safe

              Michel Montminy
              http://www.conceptair.com
              201 bld Tadoussac
              Canton-Tremblay, Qc
              G7H 5A8
              Tél : (418) 545-8368
              Fax : (418) 545-2288
              greg.wals-@... wrote:
              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=5178
              > It seems that starting with kite surfing is very expensive. The sport
              is so
              > new that schools and equipment hire is still pretty hard to find.
              >
              > I bought a non-kitesurf power kite and I've been having a some fun
              learning
              > to drive it. The kite was expensive but still only a quarter of the
              cost of
              > a Wipika. The next step will be to try dragging on my offroad skate
              board,
              > jumping, body dragging and kiteskimming using a body board or a sheet
              of
              > ply wood.
              >
              > Once I think I have the kite skills worked out I will buy the kite/s
              and
              > board/s to get into kite surfing. I wanted to wait until there was a
              range
              > of user friendly high performance water relaunchable kites available.
              These
              > kites seem to be coming on to the market now from F-One, Concept Air
              and
              > Advance. Also, the new Wipika style kites seem to be improving the
              > inflatable kites a lot.
              >
              > I am thinking that a mixed quiver of kites might be a good thing.
              Perhaps a
              > huge C-Quad (cheap and high performance) for light wind flat water, a
              high
              > performance foil for general blasting (expensive but powerful and
              > controllable), and a Naish for surf sailing (simple controls and water
              > relaunchable). The actual kites may change as the products develop
              but you
              > get the idea.
              >

              > sgreen2@... on 21/09/99 03:47:02 AM
              >
              > Please respond to kitesurf@egroups.com
              >
              > To: kitesurf@egroups.com
              > cc: (bcc: Greg Walsh/HeadOffice/DHS)
              > Subject: [ksurf] prices
              >

              > I was wondering what it would cost to get started in this sport? And
              > are there any schools on the Gulf Coast or in the Cocoa Beach Area?

            • Michel Montmigny

                greg.wals-@... wrote:
                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=5178
                > It seems that starting with kite surfing is very expensive. The sport
                is so
                > new that schools and equipment hire is still pretty hard to find.
                >
                > I bought a non-kitesurf power kite and I've been having a some fun
                learning
                > to drive it. The kite was expensive but still only a quarter of the
                cost of
                > a Wipika. The next step will be to try dragging on my offroad skate
                board,
                > jumping, body dragging and kiteskimming using a body board or a sheet
                of
                > ply wood.
                >
                > Once I think I have the kite skills worked out I will buy the kite/s
                and
                > board/s to get into kite surfing. I wanted to wait until there was a
                range
                > of user friendly high performance water relaunchable kites available.
                These
                > kites seem to be coming on to the market now from F-One, Concept Air
                and
                > Advance. Also, the new Wipika style kites seem  to be improving the
                > inflatable kites a lot.
                >
                > I am thinking that a mixed quiver of kites might be a good thing.
                Perhaps a
                > huge C-Quad (cheap and high performance) for light wind flat water, a
                high
                > performance foil for general blasting (expensive but powerful and
                > controllable), and a Naish for surf sailing (simple controls and water
                > relaunchable). The actual kites may change as the products develop
                but you
                > get the idea.
                >

                > sgreen2@... on 21/09/99 03:47:02 AM
                >
                > Please respond to kitesurf@egroups.com
                >
                > To:   kitesurf@egroups.com
                > cc:    (bcc: Greg Walsh/HeadOffice/DHS)
                > Subject:  [ksurf] prices
                >

                > I was wondering what it would cost to get started in this sport?  And
                > are there any schools on the Gulf Coast or in the Cocoa Beach Area?

                click here
                Click Here!
              • Didier
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 21 5:38 AM