[ksurf] Sheeting and Lift/Drag

  • Michel Cote
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 2, 2000
      Hi everybody,

      In a simple way, each kite has best L/D ratio at a specific Angle of
      Attack and flap i.e. brakes configuration.

      So it is possible that by releasing the brakes you get better L/D until
      some point and then fall back. The opposite may be true too ! You have
      to find your optimum setting. the same applies to AoA (sheeting in/out).

      So thats why you see opposites things on differents kites, in found on
      a 4 lines Wipika that the kite goes higher as you sheet in. If you
      sheet in too
      much it just fall back a bit.

      I think luffing means less AoA (wich can lead to higher or lower kite)
      not reduced L/D (kite falling back for sure)

      If we want to learn more, we can read about airplanes wings, those kite
      do fly and we can learn a lot from what has been done for airplanes. Of
      course we have specifics requirements but that an another story.

      Aloha !

      Michel Cote