[ksurf] Re: Sheeting in & Out/advance IO bar

  • KiteBoard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1 7:45 PM
      In a message dated 00-03-01 21:39:22 EST, cbrent@... writes:

      << I was going to write something but instead I'll just say. "Yeah what he
      said" Thanks Dave you said it well. >>

      Sorry but you guys don't get it. I don't have time to explain the difference
      between braking & AoA adjustment now. Check the archives. We went over all
      this just recently.

      Mel
    • Todd Snyder
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1 10:03 PM
        You want big airs ,you need to be able to handle big power and I think the aoa
        adjustment and the ar5s are it........Being able to kick it out of gear on the
        beach really helps,when your really overpowered.Still tring to figure out how to
        harness all that power on the water while staying hooked in. It gets tricky. Got
        learn to breath under water .

        Later,
        Todd

        Jeff Quick wrote:

        > >From the videos I've seen, the guys using foils are getting
        > higher/longer airs on average, but I hear Robby is getting even BIGGER
        > AIRS with his AR5. I've seen Elliot LeBoe get some incredible airs,
        > and he uses a Blade (all on video of course). If there is a way to get
        > extreme power out onto the water with full control, then that is the
        > ticket for extreme air and maneuvers. Sheeting in/out (and using a
        > board that will really hold and edge) is probably the way to do this.
        >
        > Jeff

      • Jeff Quick
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2 2:01 PM
          Tom (Mel) is right, there is a difference for sure. This difference
          could be more in the concept realm however. In my opinion, this
          sheeting in/out option brings the Sled kites to the efficiency of the
          foils (or more). Using the brakes to change the shape of a foil DOES
          change the L/D and the AoA slightly. I think the change of AoA on the
          sled kites is definitely MORE pronounced, and it probably needs to be
          due to a sled's design.

          There also may be an advantage when the kite is on the edge of the
          window and you are still a bit overpowered. With a foil, you would use
          the brakes, but this would cause the kite to temporarily fall back into
          the window into more power when the brakes are released. But with the
          AR5's, it seems like one would be able to sheet out (ie. change the AoA
          so the kite's leading edge faces directly into the wind). I can also
          see where this could also be used for superior upwind performance in
          the hands of an experienced rider. We'll have to see. I flew a
          regular AR 3.5 set up for 4 line last weekend and I sheeted it out as
          far as possible and the kite fell forward and luffed (though it
          recovered nicely). Foils do the same thing when bridled a bit hot.

          I am a proponent of setting foils briding so it flys "slightly hot"
          (ie. attempts to overfly window). One would actively have to use the
          brake lines to keep the kite in the proper position. Luffing could
          still be a problem, and I think the harder framed kites would be more
          resistant to this (C Quad, and Sleds of course). I did a test with my
          10.5 C Quad, and actually had a hard time keeping it from overflying
          and did have to use the brakes continuously (the C Quad design does fly
          a bit differently than regular foils). However, the upwind component
          was increased dramatically and I was able to point higher, and had a
          lot more control over the kite.

          From the videos I've seen, the guys using foils are getting

          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=10855