[ksurf] Re: Low Wind 7.5 Naish AR5 Report

  • Todd Snyder
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 29, 2000
      I have let the 11.5 and the 5.5 luff up into the middle of the window while hooked in to the trim harness. It just flys up luffs and drifts back enough to where the wind catches it again. It never has turn under or folded , so far .Unlike my foils.

      What cleat system are you using for the middle line ? I want to make somthing where  I don't need the knote on the end of the middle leader . I want to be able to reach up and adjust it on the fly.

      How about a small pulley with the middle lines connected ,have the middle leader longer  running through the pulley back to bar with some sort of cleat.

      KiteBoard@... wrote:

      In a message dated 00-03-01 13:43:11 EST, boomjib@... writes:

      << what knot did you have the center lines on ? Stock! >>

      No, but that's irrelevant with an adjustment cleat.  As I mentioned, I tried
      it at every possible AoA setting, from front lines slack (max. AoA) to back
      lines slack (min. AoA).

      Again, it may have been to light/gusty (our typical 15-25 on the beach is a
      lot better than the 5-10 that day) or I may have been too "chicken" (SEEMED
      about to luff so I turned BEFORE it did, but maybe it wouldn't have).

      Mel

      Conceived and designed by Kitesurfers . . . To ride and fly longer and higher

      Visit http://www.kitesurf.com

      For all your Home Improvement and Home Services needs stop by
      OurHouse.com. You'll receive $10 off on your first order too.
      http://click.egroups.com/1/1736/2/_/19/_/951937058/

      -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=kitesurf&m=1

         Part 1.2Type: Microsoft MHTML Document 4.0 (message/rfc822)

    • Todd Snyder
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2000
        What about this? attachment!

        Can you get me the system there using over there and send it to me? I
        'll buy you one as well If I can get it to me guickly.

        Thanks ,
        Todd

        Michael Kassal wrote:

        > Part 1.1 Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
        > Encoding: quoted-printable
      • Todd Snyder
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2000
          OOPS THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE PRIVATE....SORRY

        • KiteBoard@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2000
            In a message dated 00-03-01 13:40:07 EST, rainer@... writes:

            << On Wed, 1 Mar 2000 KiteBoard@... wrote:

            > I've got it set so I have FULL AoA range, all the way from front lines
            slack
            > (sagging back in the wind) to back lines slack. At no one position did it
            > feel like it would hover overhead without fairly regular input.

            Hmmm, sounds like a high AR foil at TDC... >>

            I should have mentioned that it was very gusty on the beach (as usual here)
            and it felt no more unstable than my 2-line Naish, however its greater
            maneuverability made it easier to manually prevent luffing (at top or edge).
            I'd just expected it to require NO input with the right AoA setting. In the
            steady winds on the hill where I first flew it, it was very stable hovering
            overhead (as is my 2-line).

            Mel
          • KiteBoard@aol.com

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 1, 2000
                On Wed, 1 Mar 2000 KiteBoard@... wrote:

                > Hmmm, sounds like a high AR foil at TDC... >>
                >
                > I should have mentioned that it was very gusty on the beach (as usual here)
                > and it felt no more unstable than my 2-line Naish, however its greater
                > maneuverability made it easier to manually prevent luffing (at top or edge).
                > I'd just expected it to require NO input with the right AoA setting. In the
                > steady winds on the hill where I first flew it, it was very stable hovering
                > overhead (as is my 2-line).

                Yep, just like a high AR foil. The more efficient the trickier in gusty
                winds.
                R!

                -- ,--+___. oOOOOOOo
                ,/ | \ / /
                ___ / | \. Rainer Leuschke / /
                __ / | \. phone: (w) 206-685-0900 / /
                __ / 14 |\ \ (h) 206-547-8927 / /
                | ~~ | \ \ / /
                | | \ \ / /
                | | \ \ Weight is only of use / /
                | | \ | in steamrollers. o /
                +--o o--| \ | - Uffa Fox 'U~
                .|_[]{ }_|------+======' )\
                M|_______________| -;---'
                U H
              • KiteBoard@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 1, 2000
                  In a message dated 3/1/00 10:59:02 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                  rainer@... writes:

                  << Yep, just like a high AR foil. The more efficient the trickier in gusty
                  winds. >>

                  I would have thought by reducing the efficiency (by lowering the AoA) it
                  would fly more like an inefficiently setup foil. Maybe it's just too
                  efficient even at it's minimum efficiency setting!

                  Mel
                • Art Clark
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 1, 2000
                    Re: [ksurf] Re: Low Wind 7.5 Naish AR5 Report
                    clip..

                    What cleat system are you using for the middle line ? I want to make somthing where  I don't need the knote on the end of the middle leader . I want to be able to reach up and adjust it on the fly.

                    How about a small pulley with the middle lines connected ,have the middle leader longer  running through the pulley back to bar with some sort of cleat.

                    There's some pics of one in the vault:
                    http://www.egroups.com/docvault/kitesurf/4%20line%20bar
                  • KiteBoard@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 1, 2000
                      In a message dated 00-03-01 18:45:36 EST, boomjib@... writes:

                      << I have let the 11.5 and the 5.5 luff up into the middle of the window while
                      hooked in to the trim harness. It just flys up luffs and drifts back enough
                      to where the wind catches it again. It never has turn under or folded ,
                      so far .Unlike my foils. >>

                      I crashed the 7.5 twice today on the beach, while messing with the middle
                      line trying to get the back lines tight enough for responsive steering
                      without too much power while attaching the boardleash & getting into the
                      water.

                      << How about a small pulley with the middle lines connected ,have the middle
                      leader longer; running through the pulley back to bar with some sort
                      of cleat. >>

                      That's similar to what's on the photo I found on the web (don't have address
                      here - it's at work - I found it by going back through the archives of the
                      list). It gives you a 3:1 purchase, which I think is overkill. You should
                      be okay with 2:1 or less. Apparently Ken uses a harness line buckle. Make
                      sure you use components with sufficient WORKING LOAD (some marine pulleys
                      have very high breaking strength, with working loads under 500 pounds).

                      Mel
                    • Todd Snyder
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 1, 2000
                        Why not just make an io bar. Big foils are easier to turn with the help of a little brake.
                        Teds post earlier tells of how to make one cheap.Kingsley should be able to tell you as well about three line conversions. My email is on the list.

                        Later,
                        Todd

                        paul menta wrote:

                        hey todd,i just bought a concept air 9.0 from kinsley,can i have your
                        e-mail,it comes four line with handles,i want to put it on a contol bar,3
                        line,i have the picture of the set up from the vault,but not sure how to run
                        the lines to the bar,your help would be great!..paul in key west
                        > OOPS THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE PRIVATE....SORRY
                        >

                        > Todd Snyder wrote:
                        >
                        > > What about this?  attachment!
                        > >
                        > > Can you get me the system there using over there and send it to me?  I
                        > > 'll buy you one as well If I can get it to me guickly.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks ,
                        > > Todd
                        > >
                        > > Michael Kassal wrote:
                        > >
                        > > >    Part 1.1    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
                        > > >            Encoding: quoted-printable

                        > > Conceived and designed by Kitesurfers . . . To ride and fly longer and
                        higher

                        > > Visit http://www.kitesurf.com

                        > > -- 20 megs of disk space in your group's Document Vault
                        > > -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/kitesurf/?m=1

                        > Conceived and designed by Kitesurfers . . . To ride and fly longer and
                        higher

                        > Visit http://www.kitesurf.com

                        Conceived and designed by Kitesurfers . . . To ride and fly longer and higher

                        Visit http://www.kitesurf.com

                        -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=kitesurf&m=1

                      • Michael Kassal
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 1, 2000
                          Re: [ksurf] Re: Low Wind 7.5 Naish AR5 Report
                          The adjustable cleat for the center line is arriving in a few weeks.  Its a simple one handed adjustment.  Was playing with it on the beach last week.  Its going to go for about 30 bucks.

                          For those curious, Robby is using it on page 20 of the latest issue of Kiteboarding mag.

                          The red strap is to release, the black one is to tighten.

                          -M
                        • paul menta
                            > OOPS THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE PRIVATE....SORRY
                            >

                            > Todd Snyder wrote:
                            >
                            > > What about this? attachment!
                            > >
                            > > Can you get me the system there using over there and send it to me? I
                            > > 'll buy you one as well If I can get it to me guickly.
                            > >
                            > > Thanks ,
                            > > Todd
                            > >
                            > > Michael Kassal wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > Part 1.1 Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
                            > > > Encoding: quoted-printable

                            > > Conceived and designed by Kitesurfers . . . To ride and fly longer and
                            higher

                            > > Visit http://www.kitesurf.com

                            > > -- 20 megs of disk space in your group's Document Vault
                            > > -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/kitesurf/?m=1

                            > Conceived and designed by Kitesurfers . . . To ride and fly longer and
                            higher

                            > Visit http://www.kitesurf.com

                            > -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=kitesurf&m=1

                          • Dave Folkard
                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 2, 2000
                              Todd
                              Did you check this one out:
                              http://www.egroups.com/docvault/kitesurf/4%20line%20bar

                              This was based on Ken Winners idea and works a treat. Dead simple to make.

                              Dave