[ksurf] Re: kite line

  • KiteBoard@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 1, 2000

      << I like the "one leg + 40 lbs" jump analogy! Liked it so much I walked
      back to the storeroom to try it:) Good exercise, too. >>

      I wanted to be able to claim "over 50 pounds" but I didn't have the required
      measured weights handy.

      It seems the least-weakening knot (figure 8) in 500 pound line, reduces it to
      only 350.

      Mel
    • KiteBoard@aol.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 1, 2000
        In a message dated 00-02-29 22:29:47 EST, sara53@... writes:

        << In my 2 1/2 years of kitesurfing I've never had a line fail. I have
        only flown 300# Powerline with tied loops. Call me lucky I guess!
        But...I've been drug underwater, thourgh waves, over sand hills, etc
        etc. The way I figure it I can do a huge amount of weight while doing
        leg presses but my hands can't hold 300# (or even 200# with the weight
        applied in a shock loading manner) without something giving i.e. the
        kite gets jerked out of my hands or (it's happened a couple of times)
        or my fingers breaking. >>

        Well after windsurfing for over 20 years I guess: A) my hands are pretty
        strong (I once lifted a 180 pound friend off the ground along with me, while
        he was trying to hold me down! - didn't even notice the pull on my hands) &
        B) I tend to be harnessed in most of the time, with less than half the force
        on my hands. I still believe there's WAY more line tension when riding hard,
        than being dragged in any manner. Fins & board rails can provide LOTS of
        side resistance when the kite is low.

        << I'm experimenting with using 200# main line and 50-80# brake line for
        the large light air kites. We'll see. >>

        Keep in mind that if powered up the same (lighter wind, bigger kite) line
        tension will be the same. In other words, it's line tension that gets you on
        a plane, so if you're getting on a plane as easily in light wind (due to a
        larger kite) the line tension is about the same, not less.

        Mel
      • Fritz Gramkowski
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 1, 2000
          A light person might be able to get away with using 300# power line but
          I don't use it becuase I don't like to go swimming.

          I weigh 200# and have broken 300# Powerline but not at the unsleeved
          knot. Some of the places where I launch are not very friendly and have
          rocks, broken glass and other debris scattered about, so it is possible
          that I knicked my line on something. I have also broken unsleeved
          traditional 500# specrtra at the knot and sleeved traditional spectra
          away from the knot. I'm almost always hooked into my harness when on
          the water and can handle vey large loads. As soon as it was available
          I started using knotted unsleeved 500# Power Line and haven't broken a
          flying line since, however I did manage to break my harness a couple of
          weeks ago.

          One thing you need to keep an eye for no matter what type of line you
          use is wear at all the connection points and lead lines on your rig,
          this is where you are mostly likely to have a failure.

          The slight increase in drag from a heavier line far out weighs the
          higher risk of failure associated with a lighter one. Besides if the
          wind is so light that I'm worrying about line drag I'm not going to be
          on the water.

          Latter-
          Fritz

          "sara" <sara5-@...> wrote:
          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=10782
          > In my 2 1/2 years of kitesurfing I've never had a line fail. I have
          > only flown 300# Powerline with tied loops. Call me lucky I guess!
          > But...I've been drug underwater, thourgh waves, over sand hills, etc
          > etc. The way I figure it I can do a huge amount of weight while doing
          > leg presses but my hands can't hold 300# (or even 200# with the weight
          > applied in a shock loading manner) without something giving i.e. the
          > kite gets jerked out of my hands or (it's happened a couple of times)
          > or my fingers breaking.
          > I'm experimenting with using 200# main line and 50-80# brake line
          for
          > the large light air kites. We'll see.
          > 500# is not going to break and it's safer in a crowded area but the
          > amount of air drag is larger.
          > Whatever type line you use have a blast and jam hard while
          ksurfing!!!

          > "ronald kittag" <h905040-@...-wien.ac.at> wrote:
          > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=10768
          > > > Has anybody tried sewing the loops?
          > >
          > > Yes, no linebreaks ever since!!

        • Stephen McCormack
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 1, 2000
            HI Fritz & Sara

            Sounds like Sara is not using a harness or not hooked in when ksurfing,
            (The way I figure it I can do a huge amount of weight while doing
            > > leg presses but my hands can't hold 300# (or even 200# with the weight
            > > applied in a shock loading manner) without something giving i.e. the
            > > kite gets jerked out of my hands or (it's happened a couple of times)
            > > or my fingers breaking.)
            So 300lb would be OK, anyone who uses a harness or backstrap should use
            500lb IMO unless they are a strong swimmer.
            We have had some really big guys breaking 500lb, they now use 800lb on their
            2 line Wipika's.
            Use strong lines at least double your body weight spread over your top/power
            lines, no re-launching ability with a broken line, so for me it is a safety
            issue too, cya and
            Goodwinds
            Steve McCormack
            www.kitepoweraustralia.com