[ksurf] Re: kite line

  • Neil Taylor
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 1, 2000
      but.. hey Sara...... don't they.... like..."dissolve" ?????!!!

      sara wrote:

      > But...I've been drug underwater, thourgh waves, over sand hills, etc

      NT
      "One Life, Live It"
    • KiteBoard@aol.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 1, 2000

        << I like the "one leg + 40 lbs" jump analogy! Liked it so much I walked
        back to the storeroom to try it:) Good exercise, too. >>

        I wanted to be able to claim "over 50 pounds" but I didn't have the required
        measured weights handy.

        It seems the least-weakening knot (figure 8) in 500 pound line, reduces it to
        only 350.

        Mel
      • KiteBoard@aol.com
        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 1, 2000
          In a message dated 00-02-29 22:29:47 EST, sara53@... writes:

          << In my 2 1/2 years of kitesurfing I've never had a line fail. I have
          only flown 300# Powerline with tied loops. Call me lucky I guess!
          But...I've been drug underwater, thourgh waves, over sand hills, etc
          etc. The way I figure it I can do a huge amount of weight while doing
          leg presses but my hands can't hold 300# (or even 200# with the weight
          applied in a shock loading manner) without something giving i.e. the
          kite gets jerked out of my hands or (it's happened a couple of times)
          or my fingers breaking. >>

          Well after windsurfing for over 20 years I guess: A) my hands are pretty
          strong (I once lifted a 180 pound friend off the ground along with me, while
          he was trying to hold me down! - didn't even notice the pull on my hands) &
          B) I tend to be harnessed in most of the time, with less than half the force
          on my hands. I still believe there's WAY more line tension when riding hard,
          than being dragged in any manner. Fins & board rails can provide LOTS of
          side resistance when the kite is low.

          << I'm experimenting with using 200# main line and 50-80# brake line for
          the large light air kites. We'll see. >>

          Keep in mind that if powered up the same (lighter wind, bigger kite) line
          tension will be the same. In other words, it's line tension that gets you on
          a plane, so if you're getting on a plane as easily in light wind (due to a
          larger kite) the line tension is about the same, not less.

          Mel
        • Fritz Gramkowski
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 1, 2000
            A light person might be able to get away with using 300# power line but
            I don't use it becuase I don't like to go swimming.

            I weigh 200# and have broken 300# Powerline but not at the unsleeved
            knot. Some of the places where I launch are not very friendly and have
            rocks, broken glass and other debris scattered about, so it is possible
            that I knicked my line on something. I have also broken unsleeved
            traditional 500# specrtra at the knot and sleeved traditional spectra
            away from the knot. I'm almost always hooked into my harness when on
            the water and can handle vey large loads. As soon as it was available
            I started using knotted unsleeved 500# Power Line and haven't broken a
            flying line since, however I did manage to break my harness a couple of
            weeks ago.

            One thing you need to keep an eye for no matter what type of line you
            use is wear at all the connection points and lead lines on your rig,
            this is where you are mostly likely to have a failure.

            The slight increase in drag from a heavier line far out weighs the
            higher risk of failure associated with a lighter one. Besides if the
            wind is so light that I'm worrying about line drag I'm not going to be
            on the water.

            Latter-
            Fritz

            "sara" <sara5-@...> wrote:
            original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=10782
            > In my 2 1/2 years of kitesurfing I've never had a line fail. I have
            > only flown 300# Powerline with tied loops. Call me lucky I guess!
            > But...I've been drug underwater, thourgh waves, over sand hills, etc
            > etc. The way I figure it I can do a huge amount of weight while doing
            > leg presses but my hands can't hold 300# (or even 200# with the weight
            > applied in a shock loading manner) without something giving i.e. the
            > kite gets jerked out of my hands or (it's happened a couple of times)
            > or my fingers breaking.
            > I'm experimenting with using 200# main line and 50-80# brake line
            for
            > the large light air kites. We'll see.
            > 500# is not going to break and it's safer in a crowded area but the
            > amount of air drag is larger.
            > Whatever type line you use have a blast and jam hard while
            ksurfing!!!

            > "ronald kittag" <h905040-@...-wien.ac.at> wrote:
            > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=10768
            > > > Has anybody tried sewing the loops?
            > >
            > > Yes, no linebreaks ever since!!

          • Stephen McCormack
            Message 5 of 27 , Mar 1, 2000
              HI Fritz & Sara

              Sounds like Sara is not using a harness or not hooked in when ksurfing,
              (The way I figure it I can do a huge amount of weight while doing
              > > leg presses but my hands can't hold 300# (or even 200# with the weight
              > > applied in a shock loading manner) without something giving i.e. the
              > > kite gets jerked out of my hands or (it's happened a couple of times)
              > > or my fingers breaking.)
              So 300lb would be OK, anyone who uses a harness or backstrap should use
              500lb IMO unless they are a strong swimmer.
              We have had some really big guys breaking 500lb, they now use 800lb on their
              2 line Wipika's.
              Use strong lines at least double your body weight spread over your top/power
              lines, no re-launching ability with a broken line, so for me it is a safety
              issue too, cya and
              Goodwinds
              Steve McCormack
              www.kitepoweraustralia.com