[ksurf] Re: Jonesin' for summer...

  • Robert Pratt
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 27 8:03 AM
      Sean,
      That weather is BALMY, I was at my inland lake today even though its 2-3 days from melting, with a good dry suit, boots, gloves etc... we sail whenever there is open water.
      Our record is 18'F 30-35mph of wind and a wind chill of minus 20'F...
      but thats another story.
      waiting for ice -out!! bob

      >>> <SeanCMurph@...> 02/27/00 08:46AM >>>
      Stopped at a surf shop yesterday (cold, wet, blustery) cause I was jonesin
      for summer. The shop had the premier issue of KB mag, so I asked about
      kites. One of the staff is in Hawaii getting ready to come back and give
      lessons this summer. I asked what kind of wet suit could get me in the water
      tomorrow. This sales dude thought I was just making conversation, so he
      showed me this and that without any conviction.

      I started talking about my fox board and my conair kites and stuff and he
      said, "you mean the only thing keeping you from surfing is a suit??? Dude,
      buy this one, right now..."

      So, I bought a wet suit that is rated for "cold and extreme cold water."
      Gonna find out today. Water temp 39+, air temp forecast at 60+. South wind
      15-20.
      Going to Napeque, Long Island this afternoon.

      If you never hear from me again (and I know that would break your hearts)
      that means I froze to death...

      Sean

      Get a FREE $15 BN.com gift certificate when you join carclub.com.
      As a member, you can save up to $550 a year if you own a car, and
      thousands more when you're buying one.
      http://click.egroups.com/1/1945/2/_/19/_/951659181/

      -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=kitesurf&m=1
    • Richard Lui
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 27 11:44 AM
        LOL...

        did pick up some gloves, booties and a hood too???

        ~Rich
        extremekites@...

        SeanCMurph@... wrote:

        > Stopped at a surf shop yesterday (cold, wet, blustery) cause I was jonesin
        > for summer. The shop had the premier issue of KB mag, so I asked about
        > kites. One of the staff is in Hawaii getting ready to come back and give
        > lessons this summer. I asked what kind of wet suit could get me in the water
        > tomorrow. This sales dude thought I was just making conversation, so he
        > showed me this and that without any conviction.
        >
        > I started talking about my fox board and my conair kites and stuff and he
        > said, "you mean the only thing keeping you from surfing is a suit??? Dude,
        > buy this one, right now..."
        >
        > So, I bought a wet suit that is rated for "cold and extreme cold water."
        > Gonna find out today. Water temp 39+, air temp forecast at 60+. South wind
        > 15-20.
        > Going to Napeque, Long Island this afternoon.
        >
        > If you never hear from me again (and I know that would break your hearts)
        > that means I froze to death...
        >
        > Sean

        > Get a FREE $15 BN.com gift certificate when you join carclub.com.
        > As a member, you can save up to $550 a year if you own a car, and
        > thousands more when you're buying one.

        > -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=kitesurf&m=1
      • Dave Raue
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 27 12:25 PM
          God I hope so!! Otherwise he'll survive, but we won't hear baout the
          outcome cause they'll have to amputate hands and feet, like the guys on
          Everest. Hey Sean, if you make it back you might be able to talk me into
          going out next weekend if it's nice!

          Dave
          > did pick up some gloves, booties and a hood too???
          >

          > ~Rich
          > extremekites@...
          >

          > SeanCMurph@... wrote:
          > >
          > > Stopped at a surf shop yesterday (cold, wet, blustery) cause I was
          jonesin
          > > for summer. The shop had the premier issue of KB mag, so I asked about
          > > kites. One of the staff is in Hawaii getting ready to come back and
          give
          > > lessons this summer. I asked what kind of wet suit could get me in the
          water
          > > tomorrow. This sales dude thought I was just making conversation, so he
          > > showed me this and that without any conviction.
          > >
          > > I started talking about my fox board and my conair kites and stuff and
          he
          > > said, "you mean the only thing keeping you from surfing is a suit???
          Dude,
          > > buy this one, right now..."
          > >
          > > So, I bought a wet suit that is rated for "cold and extreme cold water."
          > > Gonna find out today. Water temp 39+, air temp forecast at 60+. South
          wind
          > > 15-20.
          > > Going to Napeque, Long Island this afternoon.
          > >
          > > If you never hear from me again (and I know that would break your
          hearts)
          > > that means I froze to death...
          > >
          > > Sean

          > > Get a FREE $15 BN.com gift certificate when you join carclub.com.
          > > As a member, you can save up to $550 a year if you own a car, and
          > > thousands more when you're buying one.
          > >
          > > -- Easily schedule meetings and events using the group calendar!
          > > -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=kitesurf&m=1

          > Get a FREE $15 BN.com gift certificate when you join carclub.com.
          > As a member, you can save up to $550 a year if you own a car, and
          > thousands more when you're buying one.
          >
          > eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/

        • Dave Raue
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 27 12:29 PM
            ps- i'm betting you survive, this is close enough to the 100deg rule to
            make sense (i.e., you won't die if air temp + water temp >= 100 deg F.).
            And the 100deg rule is for pussys anyway, I know guys who surf year round in
            Narragansett when water is 36 deg and air is about the same of less.

            Dave
            > Stopped at a surf shop yesterday (cold, wet, blustery) cause I was jonesin
            > for summer. The shop had the premier issue of KB mag, so I asked about
            > kites. One of the staff is in Hawaii getting ready to come back and give
            > lessons this summer. I asked what kind of wet suit could get me in the
            water
            > tomorrow. This sales dude thought I was just making conversation, so he
            > showed me this and that without any conviction.
            >
            > I started talking about my fox board and my conair kites and stuff and he
            > said, "you mean the only thing keeping you from surfing is a suit???
            Dude,
            > buy this one, right now..."
            >
            > So, I bought a wet suit that is rated for "cold and extreme cold water."
            > Gonna find out today. Water temp 39+, air temp forecast at 60+. South
            wind
            > 15-20.
            > Going to Napeque, Long Island this afternoon.
            >
            > If you never hear from me again (and I know that would break your hearts)
            > that means I froze to death...
            >
            > Sean

            > Get a FREE $15 BN.com gift certificate when you join carclub.com.
            > As a member, you can save up to $550 a year if you own a car, and
            > thousands more when you're buying one.

            > -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=kitesurf&m=1

          • Mike Robyn & Max
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 27 1:00 PM
              Dude..earplugs...I already had one ear operated on from exposure...
              >did pick up some gloves, booties and a hood too???
              >

              >~Rich
              >extremekites@...
              >

              >SeanCMurph@... wrote:
              >>
              >> Stopped at a surf shop yesterday (cold, wet, blustery) cause I was
              jonesin
              >> for summer. The shop had the premier issue of KB mag, so I asked about
              >> kites. One of the staff is in Hawaii getting ready to come back and give
              >> lessons this summer. I asked what kind of wet suit could get me in the
              water
              >> tomorrow. This sales dude thought I was just making conversation, so he
              >> showed me this and that without any conviction.
              >>
              >> I started talking about my fox board and my conair kites and stuff and he
              >> said, "you mean the only thing keeping you from surfing is a suit???
              Dude,
              >> buy this one, right now..."
              >>
              >> So, I bought a wet suit that is rated for "cold and extreme cold water."
              >> Gonna find out today. Water temp 39+, air temp forecast at 60+. South
              wind
              >> 15-20.
              >> Going to Napeque, Long Island this afternoon.
              >>
              >> If you never hear from me again (and I know that would break your hearts)
              >> that means I froze to death...
              >>
              >> Sean

              >> Get a FREE $15 BN.com gift certificate when you join carclub.com.
              >> As a member, you can save up to $550 a year if you own a car, and
              >> thousands more when you're buying one.
              >>
              >> -- Easily schedule meetings and events using the group calendar!
              >> -- http://www.egroups.com/cal?listname=kitesurf&m=1

              >Get a FREE $15 BN.com gift certificate when you join carclub.com.
              >As a member, you can save up to $550 a year if you own a car, and
              >thousands more when you're buying one.
              >
              >eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/

            • Wade Bortz
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 28 8:46 AM
                Well, kayaking is a bit warmer than surfing, but we went out in -10C last
                year with ice in the water. That's cold! Flip over and you get an ice
                cream headache! Biggest problem was getting out of our ice coated gear at
                the end of the rapid - zippers were all frozen shut! We had wetsuits,
                paddling pants, booties, gloves, pogies, hoods, helmets, dry tops, pfd (best
                insulation we had, 3" of foam!), and a nice warm kayak for yer legs. As
                long as you don't swim!

                Wade
              • SeanCMurph@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 28 10:07 AM
                  >>That weather is BALMY

                  I grew up in michigan, but that was in the days BKS.
                  I'll probably be in Kalamazoo this summer visiting my mom. Where are you? Ever ks in Lake Michigan? The waves look good for air...

                  Sean
                • SeanCMurph@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 28 5:22 PM
                    In a message dated 2/28/2000 9:32:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                    theraves@... writes:

                    > Recent posts suggest that you made it back from Napeque alive!...

                    Napeque (i dont think that is really how it is spelled) was good, but the sun
                    never cleared the fog... 40f water, 48f air, not quite as close to the 100
                    rule as I hoped...
                    Couldn't see the kite through the fog, so I didn't get in... :-(
                    I did go wading, and flying and wishing...
                    and yes I have boots and a hood and these really cool gloves, called glacier
                    gloves...

                    Maybe next weekend...

                    So, about that board. You didn't buy that board at the beginning of July did
                    you? Walk in off the street buy the board? White board? Double thick
                    bottom?

                    I was there...

                    Sean
                  • Dave Raue
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 28 7:59 PM
                      Depends on how sure you are about details. I think it was June, but maybe
                      July. If you were the guy from NY taking lessons from Ty and camping out by
                      their lesson site, you may well have been there. The BOTTOM is white the
                      top is dayglo yellow with a nice swoopy red strip. Double thick bottom,
                      for sure! Were you trying to do some kind of deal on CA kites? Ring any
                      bells?

                      Psyched for a long Jones Beach fly-by this summer?

                      Dave

                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 29 11:27 AM
                        Not sure at all, could have been June, but that was me at the campsite.

                        I've gotta go surfing soon or I'm gonna 'splode.
                      • Phil Le Clercq
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 1, 2000
                          Sorry to be off topic, but for us foreigners, (Brits) what is "Jonesin'" ?
                          Cheers, Phil
                        • Greg Cashen
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 1, 2000
                            Drug-related term used to describe a really intense sense of
                            anticipation/desire. Like a crack-head is jonesing for another hit, we
                            kitesurfers are jonesing for the season to kick in so we can satisfy our
                            "fix".