[ksurf] Re: prices

  • David A. Fleisher
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 17, 1998
      This goes the same for me although I am not a big surfer. I want to
      know more about prices. If you all have any ideas, please pass them
      along. Thanks.

      Dave

      Timothy J. Runyon wrote:

      > Does any one out there know where I could buy a kite at a reasonable
      > price? I've been searching on the internet but so far i've only found
      > kites and accessories at exorbitant prices ($800 +). At most I was
      > looking to spend around $150. I don't really know too much about this
      > sport but I love to surf, however, Florida isn't exactly the best place
      > to surf. Any type of rig that could hold me over the flat spells would
      > be great.
      > I'm leaving town so please send any replys to <joerunyon@...>.
      > Thanks-
      > Tim

      > E-group home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/kitesurf

      E-group home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/kitesurf
    • tanju sion
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 22, 1998
        Tim,
        If you enjoy playing then it will cost you $$. Kite Surfing is awesome and very unexplored as a sport. There are only few manufacturers that produce Kites. and kites that will only work for kitesurfing. It 's not like going to your local sporting goods store and  asking for a Kite to surf behind. My point being ... Large companies have not yet  tapped this market or individuals  interested  in kitesurfing. Thus making kites very pricey. $1000.+.  You really won't find any thing for 100 to 300 dollars  in the this sport.  Your investment of $1000.00 will be reimbursed from the excitement and thrill of kite surfing. so you should decide if you can afford having  fun first and then your perspectives will be in line.   Good Luck.   I have a Wipika 8.5 meter kite. it cost around $1100.00 with everything needed to learn to kite surf.  My kite has  already payed for itself .   Take it easy .

        T.  Sion
        Reno Nv.

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 22, 1998

          From: tanju sion <tanju@...>
          To: kitesurf@egroups.com <kitesurf@egroups.com>
          Date: Tuesday, December 22, 1998 7:39 AM
          Subject: [ksurf] Re: prices

          >>Tim,
          >>If you enjoy playing then it will cost you $$. ...snip

          Good call, cost is but one of the prices paid by those out front. When it becomes commonplace (hear cheap) you will be looking for some other unique (hear expensive) sport!  Not only that but the gear will become more user friendly, easier to learn on and the learning methods will become much simpler.
          But hey , will you still want to do it? Or will you be off on some other yet more expensive edge?

          Still smiling from my last good day Kitesurfing,
          Pat

          E-group home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/kitesurf
        • Steve Shapson
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 22, 1998
            I laugh when I read all these posts about high prices and kitesurfing
            equipment coming down in price once everyone is doing it. I've spent the
            last number of years telling windsurfers about kite power, only to be
            laughed at and not regarded as serious. As a snow/ice kiteskier
            manufacturing foils and power kites for over 10 years, I knew the day
            would come when 'our' sport started to become mainstream.

            I feel that day coming soon. First on the water, then on the frozen
            water. A good friend and innovator of kiteskiing told me years ago. Lee
            Sedgwick said, "Steve, someday many people will be doing this sport.
            Then, people like you and me and others will just sit on the sidelines
            and watch all the new amazing tricks and modern equipment. I dread that
            day, because the sport won't be appreciated."

            I never thought that kitesurfing would become popular first. I always
            thought snow/ice kiteskiing would get popular first, for it is so easy
            to learn.

            I've been manufacturing foils for some years, and none of our foils
            retail for over $500.00. With more poeple kitesurfing, prices should
            come down a bit, but I don't think they're high to begin with. So much
            time, years went into R&D to get the Wipika sail to date. Our foils have
            been tweaked every production run. Although our foils are better suited
            for hard water, since they don't relaunch off the soft water.

            One thing is for certain. Like Scott Olson(Rollerblade designer) and
            Jake Burton Carpenter(snowboarding designer) and others who started
            these sports just for themselves, not for commercial saturation, myself
            included; are glad to see others really enjoying these wild sports.

            Don't quibble over price, just enjoy and be glad you can do that at all.

            My two cents,

            Steve Shapson
            www.kiteskiing.com(coming soon)
            Force 10 Foils
            1-888-KITESKI

            E-group home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/kitesurf
          • Stefan Popprath
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 23, 1998
              Thank you Steve
              For this message, my english is not the best but what you told, I agree with you.
              For me the kitesailing on snow starts this winter to get populair. I have this winter about 1000 lessons and about 10 tv station here. Because of the money I will earn I can open the next sommer a kitesurfing school here.
              The production of the big kite companys is allready in the cheep manufactoring countrys. So I think also the price of the kites won't go down much.
              Stefan

              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 23, 1998
                >> Tim, If you enjoy playing then it will cost you $$. Kite Surfing
                >>is awesome and very unexplored as a sport. There are only few
                >>manufacturers that produce Kites. and kites that will only work for
                >>kitesurfing. It 's not like going to your local sporting goods store
                >>and asking for a Kite to surf behind. My point being ... Large
                >>companies have not yet tapped this market or individuals interested
                >>in kitesurfing. Thus making kites very pricey. $1000.+. You really
                >>won't find any thing for 100 to 300 dollars in the this sport. Your
                >>investment of $1000.00 will be reimbursed from the excitement and
                >>thrill of kite surfing. so you should decide if you can afford having
                >>fun first and then your perspectives will be in line.

                It is pointless, in my view, to "wait" for kite prices to come down to
                any great degree. First, let's compare them to any other form of sailing
                equipment. What does one pay, today, for a top quality windsurf rig,
                complete? Can one be had for $150? Would you sail with one if you *did*
                find it at that price? And yet, manufacturers build thousands of these
                rigs every year. They are as cheap as they will ever be.

                Second, consider this: Wipika, Kiteski and others are competing in a
                *ruthless* field. No, not against behemoth manufacturers, but against
                talented *amateurs.* This is like trying to find work as a prostitute in
                a college town. Your competition will work for free, and they like what
                they do. Small kite builders, capable of kites for their own use, will
                sell them for the cost of materials, so that they can move on to the next
                great idea they have. Yes, I've seen really good kites sell for $500-600.
                They are very much the exception, not the rule, as top quality materials
                alone for a 7-8 sq m. kite cost very near that. Such kites are selling
                without labor costs added, a feat no manufacturer can match. $150, or
                anything even near that, simply is not possible.

                Last, to add even more bad news--we haven't even considered the other
                gear necessary to kiteski. We hear folks on this list wish for a Kiteski
                bar and reel every day. True, you don't *have* to have one. However, if
                you don't, you *will* wish for it, and will buy it as soon as you can.
                These cost between $500 and $900 (new vs used--correct me if I'm off,
                Cory?) These sell for this much not because Cory makes an obscene profit,
                but because that's simply what quality engineering costs. If quality bars
                could be made cheaper, then others *would* make them cheaper, and
                you--all of you--would buy them there and not from Cory.

                Now, add the ski/board--another $200-500, and you have a complete package
                that is just a bit less expensive than a full-on comparable windsurfing
                setup. Worth every penny, as you get the benefit of excitement
                windsurfers only dream about.

                How to get started "cheap?" Go out and buy an inexpensive, small kite
                (too small for kiteskiing, even). Fly it, become proficient with it,
                enjoy it. Build the dream. Visit every kitesailing venue you can find.
                Borrow gear, use demos, talk to kiteskiers. Build the dream larger. Now,
                go home and take on a second job. Save every penny you earn. When you
                have enough, send it in to one of the great manufacturers on this list.
                Live your dream. You will not regret it.

                --
                Dave Culp Speedsailing dave@... http://www.dcss.org/speedsl
                Kite powered boats, high speed sailing, proas and more. Check it out!

              • srosso@bunge.com.br
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 23, 1998
                  against behemoth manufacturers, but against talented *amateurs.* This is
                  like trying to find work as a prostitute in a college town. Your
                  competition will work for free, and they like what they do.

                  Hahaha ! Excellent metaphor !!

                  Actually to get started in kitesurfing is not so pricey and so is to get
                  TOP equipment - Cheaper than windsurfing anyway ! (which i think is a
                  comparable sport) - you cannot compare this to surfing or bicyling - which
                  are cheaper because they are not equipment driven sports.

                  here is a short analysis in US $

                  to get started real cheap in kitesurfing - get a used kite - you could find
                  something for a few hundred dollars... get a used surfboard and add some
                  straps - thats some more few hundred - boom or handles less than 100 -
                  TOTAL 600 dollars ??

                  compare this to cheap start in windsurfing - used rig 300$ (this is going
                  to be in pretty bad shape and you will need a better one as soon as you get
                  any good) - used board 300 $ (ditto) - 600 OK, it might be easier to find
                  though and there are places where you can rent - but of course the sport
                  has been around for 30 years - kitesurfing is a sport for pioneering
                  people, no ?

                  To get top equipment - damn good kite 800 (many brands) - top board
                  special made for kitesurfing 600 - reel boom (optional) 700 - TOTAL 2100
                  (less without the reel boom!)

                  compare this to top equipment for windsurfing - top carbon light wind board
                  2000 dollars (or more!) - carbon mast 500 carbon boom 300 damn good sail
                  700 - TOTAL 3500 (and you will want more sails !)

                  I think the problem is not so much price but finding used stuff ! which
                  makes it cheaper to start off... look for a used kite on rec.kites - look
                  for a used board at a surf shop.
                  I sold all my top race windsurfing gear (used) and bought kites (new) with
                  the money...

                • Eric Steinbroner
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 26, 1998
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 4, 1999
                      > We could
                      >do this the day before the World Championships that are going to be held in
                      >the Gorge this year. I believe it's scheduled for the 11th of July Cory??

                      That's right, Eric! We are hosting the World Championships in the Gorge in
                      conjunction with the Gorge Games the second week of July. By now, I'm sure
                      most of you have booked travel for this epic event. If not, on earth are
                      you waiting for?

                      Cory

                    • Greg.Walsh@dhs.vic.gov.au
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 20, 1999
                        It seems that starting with kite surfing is very expensive. The sport is so
                        new that schools and equipment hire is still pretty hard to find.

                        I bought a non-kitesurf power kite and I've been having a some fun learning
                        to drive it. The kite was expensive but still only a quarter of the cost of
                        a Wipika. The next step will be to try dragging on my offroad skate board,
                        jumping, body dragging and kiteskimming using a body board or a sheet of
                        ply wood.

                        Once I think I have the kite skills worked out I will buy the kite/s and
                        board/s to get into kite surfing. I wanted to wait until there was a range
                        of user friendly high performance water relaunchable kites available. These
                        kites seem to be coming on to the market now from F-One, Concept Air and
                        Advance. Also, the new Wipika style kites seem to be improving the
                        inflatable kites a lot.

                        I am thinking that a mixed quiver of kites might be a good thing. Perhaps a
                        huge C-Quad (cheap and high performance) for light wind flat water, a high
                        performance foil for general blasting (expensive but powerful and
                        controllable), and a Naish for surf sailing (simple controls and water
                        relaunchable). The actual kites may change as the products develop but you
                        get the idea.

                        sgreen2@... on 21/09/99 03:47:02 AM

                        Please respond to kitesurf@egroups.com

                        To: kitesurf@egroups.com
                        cc: (bcc: Greg Walsh/HeadOffice/DHS)

                        I was wondering what it would cost to get started in this sport? And
                        are there any schools on the Gulf Coast or in the Cocoa Beach Area?

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 20, 1999
                          As far as I know there are no kitesurfing schools in central Florida or
                          in Florida at all. If there is let me know. In Cocoa Beach it is
                          mostly myself and one other hard core kitesurfer.
                          You were mentioning how expensive kitesurfing is. It is a lot
                          cheaper than windsurfing the only other comparable sport. For the cost
                          of one used high perfomance windsurf set up you can get a quiver of new
                          kites. If you really hone your kiteflying skills water relaunchability
                          of your kites is not that big of a deal or really a concern. It's been
                          my experience in the surf that I swim more often windsurfing than I
                          have while kitesurfing. Plus, having to swim in while windsurfing is
                          usuaully has a tragic i.e. expensive ending (broken masts, broken fins,
                          broken booms). But with kitesurfing the worst is that you get a bit of
                          a work out paddling. I've had my kites dumped on by hurricane swell
                          this season and it did not phase the kite. In heavy surf you would be
                          hard pressed to relaunch a wipika style kite and a foil kite will
                          probably get swamped when the first white water rolls over it. So the
                          best coarse of action is preventative and don't crash.
                          Look into Quadrifoil Q2000 series of kites theya re not water
                          startable but are not very expensive and perform almost as well as the
                          high performance Concept Air and Competition X-series kites. For
                          surfing the C-quad is a handfull in the water when it gets dunked. A
                          soft foil is good when it gets dunked cause you can ball it up and
                          stuff it into a mesh pack your wearing on you back then you can swim in
                          very easily.
                          see ya
                          original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=5178

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 20, 1999
                            The issue with cost is that you can't have a go without buying the gear
                            unless you have friends who are already into it. Every town has a
                            windsurfing school and you can rent gear to get yourself to the 'going
                            along and turning around' stage before you lash out and buy the gear.

                            The attraction to kitesurfing for me is the light wind performance. A wide
                            tail sailboard is OZ$2500 add a couple of big sails, mast and boom etc
                            brings the total to around OZ$4000. A Naish kite and board will cost
                            OZ$3000. Cheaper but still a lot of money to start with. Alternatively you
                            can get a large C-Quad for OZ$500 and adapt a second hand surfboard for
                            $100. Cheap but the C-Quad is reputed to be for skilled hands only. One way
                            to kill a sport is to start with gear that is too hard to use. Windsurfing
                            has only just worked this out. You've got to start somewhere.
                          • Robert Pratt
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 21, 1999
                              {{{{{{{COM{{{{{{{{?????????????

                              >>> Michel Montmigny <traction@...> 09/21/99 08:34AM >>>
                              Hummmm...

                              There I dont agree with you when you say that the Q2000 series are almost as the high performance Concept Air kites...

                              Q2000 may be very nice kites, but you cant compare it to Concept Air kites when talking about performances.

                              It's been prooved during buggy competition and few Ice and snow sailing world championship.

                              Have nice breeze and fly safe

                              Michel Montminy
                              http://www.conceptair.com
                              201 bld Tadoussac
                              Canton-Tremblay, Qc
                              G7H 5A8
                              Tél : (418) 545-8368
                              Fax : (418) 545-2288
                              greg.wals-@... wrote:
                              original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=5178
                              > It seems that starting with kite surfing is very expensive. The sport
                              is so
                              > new that schools and equipment hire is still pretty hard to find.
                              >
                              > I bought a non-kitesurf power kite and I've been having a some fun
                              learning
                              > to drive it. The kite was expensive but still only a quarter of the
                              cost of
                              > a Wipika. The next step will be to try dragging on my offroad skate
                              board,
                              > jumping, body dragging and kiteskimming using a body board or a sheet
                              of
                              > ply wood.
                              >
                              > Once I think I have the kite skills worked out I will buy the kite/s
                              and
                              > board/s to get into kite surfing. I wanted to wait until there was a
                              range
                              > of user friendly high performance water relaunchable kites available.
                              These
                              > kites seem to be coming on to the market now from F-One, Concept Air
                              and
                              > Advance. Also, the new Wipika style kites seem to be improving the
                              > inflatable kites a lot.
                              >
                              > I am thinking that a mixed quiver of kites might be a good thing.
                              Perhaps a
                              > huge C-Quad (cheap and high performance) for light wind flat water, a
                              high
                              > performance foil for general blasting (expensive but powerful and
                              > controllable), and a Naish for surf sailing (simple controls and water
                              > relaunchable). The actual kites may change as the products develop
                              but you
                              > get the idea.
                              >

                              > sgreen2@... on 21/09/99 03:47:02 AM
                              >
                              > Please respond to kitesurf@egroups.com
                              >
                              > To: kitesurf@egroups.com
                              > cc: (bcc: Greg Walsh/HeadOffice/DHS)
                              > Subject: [ksurf] prices
                              >

                              > I was wondering what it would cost to get started in this sport? And
                              > are there any schools on the Gulf Coast or in the Cocoa Beach Area?

                            • Michel Montmigny

                                greg.wals-@... wrote:
                                original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=5178
                                > It seems that starting with kite surfing is very expensive. The sport
                                is so
                                > new that schools and equipment hire is still pretty hard to find.
                                >
                                > I bought a non-kitesurf power kite and I've been having a some fun
                                learning
                                > to drive it. The kite was expensive but still only a quarter of the
                                cost of
                                > a Wipika. The next step will be to try dragging on my offroad skate
                                board,
                                > jumping, body dragging and kiteskimming using a body board or a sheet
                                of
                                > ply wood.
                                >
                                > Once I think I have the kite skills worked out I will buy the kite/s
                                and
                                > board/s to get into kite surfing. I wanted to wait until there was a
                                range
                                > of user friendly high performance water relaunchable kites available.
                                These
                                > kites seem to be coming on to the market now from F-One, Concept Air
                                and
                                > Advance. Also, the new Wipika style kites seem  to be improving the
                                > inflatable kites a lot.
                                >
                                > I am thinking that a mixed quiver of kites might be a good thing.
                                Perhaps a
                                > huge C-Quad (cheap and high performance) for light wind flat water, a
                                high
                                > performance foil for general blasting (expensive but powerful and
                                > controllable), and a Naish for surf sailing (simple controls and water
                                > relaunchable). The actual kites may change as the products develop
                                but you
                                > get the idea.
                                >

                                > sgreen2@... on 21/09/99 03:47:02 AM
                                >
                                > Please respond to kitesurf@egroups.com
                                >
                                > To:   kitesurf@egroups.com
                                > cc:    (bcc: Greg Walsh/HeadOffice/DHS)
                                > Subject:  [ksurf] prices
                                >

                                > I was wondering what it would cost to get started in this sport?  And
                                > are there any schools on the Gulf Coast or in the Cocoa Beach Area?

                                click here
                                Click Here!
                              • Didier
                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 21, 1999