9629[ksurf] Re: Another bad day

  • Eugene Visser
    Feb 1, 2000
      Hi,
      Having flown the 3.5 Waterfoil I can definitely put you at ease about it's
      performance and simplicity of use.

      There are no special tools or accesories(pumps or condoms ;-) required to
      inflate it or to prep it for launch though we have aided it by preinflating
      it using an hand/electric pump from a air-matress. Considering the kite had
      only 6 small vents on the LE it inflated pretty fast and was ready for use
      in a matter of about 5mins.

      I have not been able to crash it in an unrecoverable position. As stated the
      only time when problems may occur as with most waterfoils is when caught up
      in the surf. The kite might actually require assistance to land. Furthermore
      I have done my best to luff it on purpose and in all cases could recover it
      with ease, usually as soon as the luff occured. The kite flies better with a
      dualline flying method while accelerating the turns with the use of the
      brakelines.

      The power and control is smooth and this kite more than surprised me while
      doing a jump as a powertest. Being overly familiar(spoiled actually) with
      C-quads I've nearly forgotten how misleading the onset of power on a foil
      can be. Otherwise we were more than powered up on the 3.5 Waterfoil when we
      were predominantly using 4.2 C-quads. On the same afternoon this kite was
      used to rescue/haul someone back after they had luffed their 4.2 C-quad in
      the channel and was unable to return to shore in the outgoing tidal current.
      The upwind performance is also outstanding.

      The only time any accessory was required was to aid deflation. A tube was
      inserted to bypass the LE valves to let air out before packing it away.

      Ciao,

      I am in no way associated to Peter Lynn Kite co. other than the fact that I
      own and use some of their products.