8673[ksurf] Re: Speed of XXXL Setting up lines

  • Scott Bauman
    Jan 6 7:20 PM
      I weigh about 170pounds and ride either a 6'6" kiteboard or a 7 foot
      gun surf board with my XXXL. My wind range is from about 5 mph(going
      down wind) - 13mphish (going down wind overpowered). With 8-11ish mph
      being the ideal wind. With 8-11mph I can throw flat water loops. It
      does turn extremly fast for such a big kite. My normal lines are
      90feet of 300pound tops and either 100 or 150 pound brakelines.
      With 150ft lines I can lower my wind range just a little bit.
      Haveing a 9 meter kite has dramaticlly increased my time on the
      water. I now have a 2.2, 2.9, 3.8, 4.6, 5.4, and the brute 9.66 XXXL.
      Have fun in the boat!
      "jeff quick" <jquick-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=8647
      > Hey Todd,
      >
      > You are gonna be sitting your butt on the beach watching me rip in
      > these light winds...get a 9.0 + kite so you can get on the water more
      > until the windy season hits again...we get more 'really light wind'
      > than 'good wind' so you'll be left out if you dont...isn't there a
      XXXL
      > with your name on it?
      >
      > Jeff
      >
      > todd snyder <boomji-@...> wrote:
      > original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/kitesurf/?start=8640
      > > The bar with handles on the ends would be a great choice with this
      > kite if
      > > you don't like to use just handles.
      > >
      > > I have no interest in fling in really light wind. I 'll be on a boat
      > > throw'en back a few cold ones putting on the wieght for the windy
      > season....
      > > HAHAHAH
      > >
      > > Ted wrote:
      > >
      > > > I would agree with Todd on the XXXL wind range 8 to 14 or 15
      knots.
      > > > weigh ~ 170lbs and ride a 4'10" to 5'8" wakeboard.
      > > >
      > > > I find the XXXL to be quick responding though. I use a ~24" bar
      > with
      > > > the handles attached at the end of the bar(four line mode) The
      kite
      > > > will pivot on it's axis when using the bar and handles in
      > combination
      > > > and using the bar only the kite will turn rapidly also, although
      it
      > > > will not pivot on its axis. I have never noticed the kite to be
      > slow
      > > > through the air on in the turns. I usually fly the XXXL with 100
      > ft of
      > > > line.
      > > >
      > > > I consider quick response to be when I think of turning the kite
      and
      > > > make the motions, the kite turns without having to plan ahead.
      > > > example.. an 8.5 wipika requirs a couple of seconds of 'plan ahead
      > > > time'. The XXXL I fly like any of my other foils, turn when I
      > think of
      > > > it.
      > > >
      > > > regards -Ted
      > > > todd snyder <boomji-@...> wrote: