70778Re: What's the dream kite for my computer to fly... to generate power

  • Gary
    Feb 12, 2012
      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "roderickjosephread" <rod.read@...> wrote:
      Ben Franklin used a basic diamond kite with a metalized string attached to a key inside of a jar. The only problem is that it only generated electricity in a lightning storm.

      I would go out on a limb here and say that no kite is good for power generation. You might want to look into a tethered Aerostat. Plenty of surface area for Photo Voltaic Cells and infinitely more stable.

      The DEA operates them along our southern border. Their Aerostats are equipped with radars to track low flying aircraft flown by Drug Traffickers.

      http://www.af.mil/information/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=3507

      You might Catch some Flack from the FAA if you use it above 400 ft above ground level. They operate theirs at 25,000ft but they are above the law.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic