      From: "Klotz, Michael MD" <michael.klotz@...>
      To: <kitesurf@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [ksurf] 2 non FAQ Beginner questions
      Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 12:28:33 -0700

      Actually these messages are out of concern for your safety. I started in
      the very early days (2 line Naish AR 3.5) when there was no instruction
      whatsoever. No boards for a while either. I had a lot of boat rescues and
      finally a kitemare that almost killed me. I quit the sport until 4 yrs ago.
      I am an adrenaline junky and my buddies figure I have used 8 of my 9
      lives. I took lessons 4 yrs ago and balked at the cost, but when they
      compared it to diving lessons and the need for safety instruction (as well
      as fragile equipment) I understood.
      I was still scared until I had several months of kiting under my belt.
      Most people who get lofted on land don't let go soon enought and flying big
      kites on land is a dangerous mistake to most of us. You can also easily
      destroy your kite.
      In the water you need to know how to control your kite and do a self rescue.
      I have seen and heard of incredible kitemares and it never ceases to amaze
      me how inventive an out of control kite is in finding novel ways to try and
      kill you.
      I herniated a disc in May when my kite inverted in 45mph winds and I
      couldn't haul it in for self-rescue. I had lines around my legs and my
      knife in my mouth and could have easily lost a limb from those lines.
      This is an absolutely awesome sport and advances are being made yearly
      (never buy older kites) and we are seeing fewer and fewer deaths, but a lot
      of that is due to understanding the dangers of the sport.
      It sounds like you plan on flying your kite regardless of our advice. Know
      your safety systems. Know how to release the chicken loop, flag the kite
      out, release the kite if shit hits the fan. Know how to rig and check your
      lines. Know the weather! A squall and doubling of the wind will send you
      into orbit.
      MK