70425[ksurf] Re: Newbie Question on Kite to Buy (Big Air)

  • jim cancil
    Apr 12, 2007
      Lex: Thanks. Good point on the wake-style moves: I didn't think about them. I don't do
      low, high-speed moves because almost everytime I've tried, I either bugger my Rotator
      Cuff or otherwise damage my self esteem. I prefer to 'reach for the sky'. I 'm afraid of
      heights and find this as thrilling as a carnival ride. As a surfer first, there is nothing more
      thrilling that using the face of a wave to 'ramp' off ..and, of course, to NOT have to paddle
      like a wheezing fool to get outside ..is a big bonus.

      I've had two or three Best kites. They not only had a two-for-one program a few years
      ago, but good journeyman kites. I backed away from them because of some of their
      objectification of women and somewhat hats-on-sideways attitude. I just didn't feel that
      they were a group I would want to hang with. Shannon seems great in his schooling vids
      and I met Peter Stewie (apology for spelling) in Cabarete..but. The early Waroos I saw
      seemed to be too active in the air; recent ones look good.

      Brazil is a stretch for me - mentally even. I can speak a bit of Spanish and Cabarete is only
      1.5hrs from Miami, so it seems close. I guess everything is a distance for you - plus you
      euros don't seem to fear travel as much as we Yanks. ...and you take more time off!

      Kite brand-loyalty was simply earned. The maybe seven Norths I've had never presented a
      problem, but then perhaps I don't kite them hard enough ..ala wake-style ..to have had a
      problem. I found the Euro kites like Takoon and GK to be built a little lighter built ..but
      RRd perhaps the best, underrepresented brand in the US. I wished Takoon was again sold
      in the US. ...the profits would not go to Bush.

      ....and Lex, whenever I see one of those beach cams over by you: it 'always' seems to be
      blowing. It probably would have kept me off the kites. We can get some fairly seady SW at
      about 12-15kts ...light onshore in Summer and gusty N/NW into the low 20's when cold
      fronts come thru, so it's pretty nice from May-November. Good luck to you - nice chat.

      J i m

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic