70105Re: [ksurf] Flat kite accident?

  • Mark
    Jul 12, 2006
      I also agree with the statement about increased safety of flat kites,
      but from personal experience here's one more suggestion which could
      apply to all kites I suupose.

      When struggling to relaunch (I was trying to avoid a TE down
      inverting situation) ALWAYS make sure you are keeping the lines clear
      of the bar. I tangled the leaders around the bar (also complicated
      by a leash attached aboave the bar which I do not recommend!).

      When the kite powered up before I untangled the bar it went into an
      uncontrolled power spin... yikes! Had to ditch the kite
      completely... after spinning several times it got so tangled even
      this was a challenge!

      Anyway, this is pure operator error but a good lesson I think... also
      I would recommend ditching as soon as the power spins start... no
      sense in getting worked and even more tangled! Save your strength
      for swimming and/or flagging down someone!

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, CCKiteboarder@... wrote:

      > I basically agree but was reading on kite forum some talk about
      what
      > happens if the bridle gets tangled or a pulley fails. Apparently
      the
      > kites go into an unstoppable power spin. People say they have no
      choice
      > but to release the kite totally. Sounds to me, if this is true,
      that it
      > needs to be addressed. Runaway kites are not a good thing. What
      do u
      > think? Is this true? Are manufacturers addressing this issue in
      the
      > manuals?
      >
      > --
      > Steve
      > Carson City, Nevada, USA
      >
      > On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 04:27:43 -0700, <hungvu2000@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I have been using the Waroo extensively for the whole winter,
      spring and
      > > almost half of the summer now!
      > >
      > > Everytime I switch back to the classic, foil and other types of
      old
      > > kite, I notice how drastically safer the flat kites are.
      > >
      > > Looks like with the flat kites, accident will be drastically
      reduced
      > > (especially the lofting or dragging into hard object accidents).
      > >
      > > I would like to hear some statistics regarding the flat kite
      accident
      > > world wide (especially the lofting or dragging into hard object
      > > accidents).
      > >
      > > P.S., The stopper ball on the chicken loop is great and make the
      kite
      > > behave similar to a classic when you are not holding the bar (for
      > > deadman trick or other reasons), but at the same time, it makes
      the kite
      > > only as safe as the classic unless the tension on the stopper
      ball is
      > > set to real low (then you cannot do the deadman trick anyway).
      > > Personally, I would set the stopper ball as far as possible on
      land and
      > > may move it in closer when in deep water. The other option is to
      always
      > > set it to as far as your arm can reach or not having the stopper
      ball at
      > > all especially if you want a safer flat kite.
      > >
      > > P.P.S., The other benefit of the flat kite is the ease of board
      > > retrieval, you can literally swim back to your board and don't
      really
      > > have to body drag upwind. Board leash and board leash accident is
      > > definitely a thing of the past as you have more choices and can
      > > always get back to your board regardless the state of the wind
      (body
      > > drag upwind was difficult in way overpowered and way underpowered
      > > situations).
      > > Hung.

      > > === to unsubscribe, please send an email to
      > > kitesurf-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com ===
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic