69562Re: [ksurf] Wakeboarding lesson before a successful kitesurfing waterstart!

  • georgeiw@aol.com
    Aug 3, 2005
      Hi Chris,

      I took forever to be able to stay up and I recently went wakeboarding.

      The part of wakeboarding that is most like kiteboarding in terms of stance
      and all that is when you are outside the wake and way on the side going at an
      angle and forward with the boat.
      Use your kiteboarding board, it will work, though it might be a little
      wobbly.
      I do not think that fins make the biggest difference.
      Two are enough since you are unlikely to ride toe side on your kiteboard for
      a while though you can definitely do it on the wake board.

      Another trick for learning how to wakeboard is to start sitting in an inner
      tube. Just leave it behind in the water when you get up. You start from a
      much better stance. As soon as the boat driver hits the gas simply stand up.
      When you get back to your kite try to ride for a while sitting in a tube and
      not standing up. Try to loop the kite on one side of the window gently, not
      diving too hard and keep your speed up. Do not fly the kite too far to the
      side before you bring it back up. Use the board to try to steer down wind at
      45 degrees. This is what you will want to do without the tube.

      I will add more later but unfortunately the board is the smallest part of
      the problem.
      Kiting is easier on your arms and back than wakeboarding because you can
      hook into the chicken loop. When you get back to the kite you can try un hooked
      if it is not too windy but eventually you will want to get used to being
      hooked in.

      The hardest part of it all is managing your edging and stance as you loop
      the kite the first 2 or 3 times. After that you will have built up enough
      speed to smooth out everything.

      Think like this:
      1 dive the kite, pop up quickly (not like water skiing), and pull your back
      foot in to turn the tip of the board downwind about 45 degrees.
      2 now turn the kite up and forward, then back a little, (set it to faster
      turning. they are slow anyway), and point your board towards the kite as you
      stand up and coast while the kite is not pulling on the up stroke.
      3 Now turn the kite back down into the middle of the wind window (almost
      straight down and a little backwards if the wind is light) You will now begin
      to edge harder and turn the board more sideways or upwind as the kite pulls
      harder going through the power zone.
      Repeat 2
      Repeat 3

      Now try to make each stroke smoother and longer without flying the kite out
      of the side of the wind window.

      Let us know how that works.
      If it doesn't make sense I will send another idea.
      George