69313Re: [ksurf] Convince me NOT to use a board leash??

  • Hung Vu
    Apr 2, 2005
      I have been kiting since 1998 and never had a problem with the board
      slingshot close to my body neither except for one small incident in waves.

      That's said, kiting without a board leash offers so much freedom that
      once you start going out without a leash for a couple times, you will
      ponder why you haven't done so sooner.

      The places, conditions where board leash are still essential: very cold
      water, very gusty wind (make body drag upwind difficult), limited down
      wind space, offshore wind, etc.

      P.S., 9% of all kitesurfing accidents recorded in KSI from 2000 to 2003
      involved board leash.

      Hung.

      ichiman1 wrote:

      >In 4 years kitesurfing I NEVER had a problem with the board coming
      >close to my body and risking injury except when in the waves, in which
      >case I know to body drag AWAY from the board even before I hit the
      >water. So I wonder am I just lucky or is this board leash danger thing
      >a bit of an urban legend? Please enlighten me...
      >Using a directional with 2m Dakine leash shackled to my harness.

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic