69026RE: [ksurf] Twinskins

  • Mark Pronk
    Jan 24, 2005
      Brian, Greame,

      My idea's on inflateables / ram-airs are a bit different. There ARE more
      then a few schools that teach using Ram-Airs. I'd say the odds are a bit
      like the odds of people buying Ram-Air kites. Most people choose the
      obvious choice. Buy Nike trainers, since everybody has them. If you get
      my point. Modern Ram-Airs offer high stability, high relaunch
      probability (havent drowned my kites for a single time without being
      able to relaunch), safety systems that are really above standard, etc.

      It's not surprising Flexifoil doesn't recommend any of their ram-airs
      for kitesurfing, simply because all of the Flexifoil ram-air kites are
      open celled (and i think you as a kite-vendor should know that Brian).
      But if you'd check out the Flysurfer.de or Peter Lynn Kiteboarding
      brochure for instance you'd see that they recommend ALL but a few models
      for water use! Flysurfer.de and Peter Lynn Kiteboarding produce closed
      cell kites for water use.

      Open celled kites aren't for water use! Period!

      Nevertheless there's plenty of Ram-Air kites around that are just as
      stable as inflateables. Not in all conditions (say 35+ knots, since
      tubes offer rigidity trough the inflated leading edge tube) but most
      certainly in more then 95% of the conditions you'd come across...

      Personally i'd highly recommend you'd try ANY kite you'd find
      interesting (which includes a Naish Boxer too, Brian would be glad to
      demo you one, since he's Naish dealer!) before you make the purchase.

      Of course this is just my 2 cents.

      Have fun!
      Mark

      Happy kiting, whatever you fly!