68250Re: Kitesurfing around Vancouver

  • Chris Glazier
    May 31, 2004
      We have reliable wind all summer long at Squamish which is about an
      hour north of Vancouver. Excellent flat water, 12m kites usually.
      You must be able to stay upwind to kite there. Here is an old post
      of mine on Squamish:

      I usually kite where the launch area is a narrow rock jetty and self
      launching is not a viable option. The way we launch is the kiter
      gets in the water on the downwind side of the jetty and someone
      holds the kite at the top of the jetty (about 5 meters up) for the
      launch. Luckily there are always a few kiters around to
      help ...maybe 5 on a quiet day and maybe 25 on the weekends. (And
      there are a few windsurfers around to help launch the last guy on a
      quiet day.)

      So you always need help to launch. This has developed a very
      teamwork oriented culture for us. Everyone helps everyone else. The
      quicker we get someone launched, the quicker it will be our turn.
      There is only one launch/landing area so we try to keep it clear
      like on an aircraft carrier.

      Landing is just the reverse. You kite toward the jetty, tap your
      head to indicate you want to land, and someone on top of the jetty
      will catch your kite. Sometimes there is a line up with several
      kiters circling waiting for their turn for landing. But it always
      works. Every kiter on the jetty is always ready to catch a kite. And
      if the catch doesn't work, you just bring your kite up and circle
      around for another try.

      It may sound like a difficult site, but our reward here is steady
      reliable wind and flat water for about 5 months of the year. Average
      kite size is usually 12 meters.

      Here are some rules that have evolved for us.

      First, we inflate our kites and put on our wetsuits away from the
      launch area.

      Then we lay out our lines at the launch area on top of the jetty.
      (The launch area is wide enough for several sets of lines.) Then,
      when it is our turn, we quickly move our kite to the top of the
      launch area, connect the lines, and get launched. Usually the next
      kiter has already laid out his lines and is getting ready
      immediately afterward. If you are slow or disorganized, someone else
      will quickly get in front of you for a launch ...this is perfectly

      On landing, after someone catches your kite, your lines will be
      immediately disconnected from your kite by the people who catch your
      kite at the top of the jetty. And then they put your kite down well
      away from the launch area, (usually stacked behind other kites).
      This leaves the you in the water free to roll up your lines and get
      out of the way. When I land, I can roll up my lines when I am still
      in the water, and by the time I crawl up to the top of the jetty, my
      kite will have been stored somewhere.

      The key thing is that no kite ever sits in the launch area with
      lines connected for very long. No one has to enforce rules.
      Newcomers generally just ask how we do things, and then join us. I
      can't ever remember a kiter being unwilling to help in a launch or
      landing. Its teamwork at its best. It's a great sport.

      Chris Glazier
      Squamish BC, Canada