68141Re: 5th line attached to leading edge?

  • flkiter
    Apr 15, 2004
      Chris,
      You should try the 5th line setup sometime, you'll be amazed at how
      simple and non-cumbersome it is. For one, there is no significant
      drag because A) you use a thin, lightweight piece of spectra (since
      ther is never more that 100 lbs of force on this line) and... B) the
      5th line that I use stops at the top of my sheeting strap so you
      don't even notice it being there. It never tangles during deployment,
      unlike the front line system that I used to use. I simply clip my
      leash to the grab ring above the sheeting strap. Very clean and
      simple. You never have to swim towards your kite and it relaunches in
      seconds. It is especially helpful in waves since it lays the kite on
      its back and allows the wave to simply pass over with no force.
      You can see an illustration of the system that I use at:
      http://www.usakite.com/5thline.htm
      Check it out,
      Greg Kuklinski
      www.usakite.com

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Glazier" <cglazier@c...>
      wrote:
      > There are two problems with any 5th line system. One is that any
      > kite line causes significant drag and reduced performance. The
      > second is that any extra line adds complexity and can tangle.
      >
      > In snow kiting you need either a 5th line or a Cabrinha recon
      system
      > since a normal relaunch may not be possible.
      >
      > However, on the water, the normal relaunch technique works fine. I
      > relaunch my high aspect 18 meter kite (X3) reliably. It takes a bit
      > of practise to learn, but it's far easier than flying with a 5th
      > line all the time.
      >
      > If the leading edge bladder is pumped up hard, then almost any
      > modern inflatable kite is relaunchable. Just practise.
      >
      > :-)
      > Chris Glazier
      >

      > --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, Iain Wood <d.i.wood@n...> wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I heard of a system for use with larger leis where a 5th line is
      > > attached to the leading edge. This seems to make sense in that if
      > > things go wrong and you release all but the 5th line your kite
      > will end
      > > up on its back with no lift and all ready to relaunch.
      > >
      > > Anyone have any experience of this, or any thoughts on
      > retrofitting it
      > > to a 4 line lei?
      > >
      > > I have had a look through the archives, cos I know there was some
      > > discussion on 5th lines. All I came up with was a system where
      the
      > 5th
      > > line is attached to the trailing edge, not the leading edge.
      > >
      > > Iain
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic