67520[ksurf] Re: are boxers low aspect high performance ??

  • woodman_k
    Dec 1, 2003
      Hein

      I just got a 14m nitro and had 3 days on it and so far I like the
      system and kite. The bar and the long center leader bugs me a bit too
      but once your going it looks as clean as it can be.....spinning
      leash blabla. The velcro release must be always checked preflight as
      that seems a bit sensitive to user error!!!

      Please explain what happened to te guy who set up the recon wrong.
      Was there sand jamming the leaders causing one side to be powered and
      the other fully stalled? I would imagine that would cause havoc on
      launch! I have self launched 3 times now on sand and no probs but I
      am concerned about this part.

      Cheers
      Stan

      PS Where can I get some texalium?

      --- In kitesurf@yahoogroups.com, "Hein van Swaay" <hein@I...> wrote:
      > I'm interested in the Boxer too. I currently ride
      > SS GTOs and I love a lower aspect kite. The GTO's
      > won't be available in 2004. (big mistake IMO)
      >
      > I ride unshackled and with my kite low and in the power.
      > mostly with a much smaller kite than my bros who
      > are scared to death to have their kite swing through
      > the power.
      >
      > I love to do unhooked moves. It opens up a whole new
      > chapter of fun stuff to try.
      >
      > I looked at the Cabrinha but the Recon is to complicated
      > and prone to failures plus I don't want their power lock
      > bar. I saw a guy get lofted when he set up his Recon wrong
      > and had the line at the trailing edge partially tensioned.
      >
      > Maybe I can talk South Padre Island Kiteboarding into
      > letting me try a Boxer. They have some in stock and
      > I'll let you know if I get a chance to ride one.
      >
      > In regards to your view of kiting safety...
      >
      > I agree totally. In fact, all the recent flurry of
      > 'safety systems' designed by people who aren't even
      > real engineers is making this sport 'seem' safe to many
      > newbies. They think they can detach when in fact they
      > can't. That's been sadly proven by many experienced
      > kiters who have died by lofting and/or dragging. I've
      > seen many people get lofted and dragged. It only takes
      > one hard object to turn these seemingly innocent and
      > sometimes even comical incidents into a tragedy.
      >
      > Kitesurfing companies need to apply some serious failure
      > modes and effects analysis. And do a much better job making
      > people aware of the REAL dangers that are related to
      > location and wind conditions. I don't think either is
      > being done. This is not windsurfing, snowboarding or
      > wakeboarding and any analogies made to these sports is only
      > further masking the risks. It's more like hang gliding,
      > acrobatic flying and parachuting! When two or more things
      > go wrong in those sports; you die!
      >
      > Your advice about staying away from hard objects is
      > right on. I see people hopping up the beach with
      > their kite overhead all the time. Many times right
      > in front of a variety of solid skull smashing objects.
      >
      > When are people going to learn!? I am amazed by the
      > way many riders totally ignore or disregard obvious
      > dangers.
      >

      > -Hein van Swaay

      leash

      <wyndjunkie@m...>