66460Re: [ksurf] CABRILLO SEMI-BAN (no kiting summer weekends)

  • LA2WNDSRF@aol.com
    Jul 10, 2003
      In a message dated 7/9/2003 10:26:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
      kiteboarder@... writes:

      > If they do change it will mean we'll be banned all the time.
      > Kiteboarding summer weekends at Cabrillo is an accident (& subsequent
      > ban) waiting to happen. Who has the most experience kiteboarding at
      > Cabrillo? Me. Do I ever go on summer weekends? No.

      sky falling ? Nope, not yet.

      And who has experience with wind sports at
      Kabrillo longer? Me - even longer than Greg E. ,
      Wayne Boyd is a kabrillo waterman longer than me, so what?
      I've seen hot weekdays more crowded than cool weekends.

      I've seen, talked with and held
      meetings with City & County lifeguards, Harbor Police,
      LAPD, City & County Officials many times in the
      past on many issues. Things can be worked out.

      For Example: Jetskiing & Powered watercraft were
      severely injurying and killed a windsurfer at Kabrillo Beach -
      remember?

      Who came up with the idea to establish a non-powered
      area for windsurfers inside LA Harbor ? (That a certain
      retailer was against in the beginning.)

      It was that idea that I presented to Jeff Jones, Jim & Jack -
      And with their expertise & help, the Harbor Dept adopted it
      & presented it, along with a 5 mph zone, at a meeting
      as as solution to controling the powered watercraft.

      It was implemented temporarily and it soon was made permanent
      as a workable solution to prevent further death & injury

      It wasn't perfect, jetskiers still violate it daily.
      But it is 50-70% effective.

      Hmmmm, so, jetskiers have crippled & maimed individuals
      as well as kill them, at kabrillo beach yet they haven't been
      banned from Kabrillo. Instead, A defined area was set aside
      for them for egress & ingress, as
      well as their own beach area.

      Their is hope for kiters that have done
      none of the above to anyone,