63810Re: Kiteboarding Mag Attitude Problem

  • dontbuyarcs <imintheusagain@hotmail.com>
    Jan 3, 2003
      Hi Guys,
      Heres another 2 cents.
      when was the last time you looked in any magazine and saw your
      average joe somebody in his budgie smugglers smiling at the camera.
      When did you last see an average looking individual on the cover of
      cosmopolitan magazine.

      Unfortunately aesthetics as it is commonly known as is the heart and
      soul of the advertising world. Magazines only became seperate from
      newspapers in the early days because of advertising restrictions.

      It really pisses me off to hear males batting for women on the
      sexism issue. I am not saying it should be done but I think there is
      a fair bit of eye candy for women at any good kiteboarding location.
      So why not in a kiteboarding magazine. Oh yeah did I mention sex
      sells?

      Ok So i'll try and sum up what you want:
      1: A magazine that agrees with your opinions on the equipment
      reviews of all thier products.
      2: A magazine with no witty slogans
      3: An uninthusiastic editor
      4: A magazine filled with pictures of middle aged men and women
      landing thier first backloops.

      And what the fuck is wrong with wearing board shorts over your
      wetsuit. Sounds to me like you are subscribing to the same morals as
      you quite obviously detest. In my opinion you can kiteboard in
      whatever you want as long as you are safe.

      Now you have got me all pissed off and have clouded the issue with
      bullshit. The real issue is not sexism or pants over your wetsuit or
      helmet man its safety. Ignoring safety will get you killed sexism at
      worst will get you a good slap in the face. I am disgusted to see
      that at the beginning of ever kiteboarding magazine on the first
      page these words do ot appear.

      ATTENTION ALL KITEBOARDERS AND PROSPECTIVES.
      KITEBOARDING IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND SHOULD ONLY BE UNDERTAKEN IN
      LOCATIONS WHERE IT IS LEGAL TO KITEBOARD, BY INDIVIDUALS WITH THE
      CORRECT KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY. ALL KITEBOARDERS FEATURED IN THIS
      MAGAZINE ARE PROFESSIONALS AND HAVE ONLY GOT THIS WAY THROUGH
      LEARNING IN THE PROPER MANNER. IF YOU ARE KITEBOARDING AMONGST OTHER
      KITEBOARDERS YOU MUST WEAR A KITE LEASH. FAILURE TO WEAR A LEASH CAN
      LEAD TO DEATH. FAILURE TO ANALYSE A KITEBOARDING LOCATION CORRECTLY
      CAN LEAD TO DEATH. FAILURE TO CONSTANTLY ANALYSE CHANGING WEATHER
      PATTERNS CAN LEAD TO DEATH. FAILURE TO WEAR ADEQUATE FLOTATION AND
      IMPACT PROTECTION DEVICE CAN LEAD TO DEATH. IF YOU VALUE YOUR LIFE
      CONSULT A PROFESSIONAL FOR ADVICE ON LESSONS AND TRAINING BEFORE
      ATTEMPTING THIS SPORT. YOU MAY ALSO WANT TO INVESTIGATE WHAT
      INSURANCE IS AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA TO GUARD AGAINST THIRD PARTY
      PERSONAL AND PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY. THE ONLY THING WORSE THAN
      INJURING OR KILLING YOURSELF IS INJURING OR KILLING SOMEONE ELSE. IF
      YOU SEE ANOTHER KITEBOARDER DOING SOMETHING YOU DEEM DANGEROUS GO
      AND OFFER ASSISTANCE. PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.

      Now all that jibbering and I hope I got the message through and all
      you people see the real picture. We can not stop everyone from
      buying a kite, not getting a lesson and going out and doing the
      kiteboarding world and themselves an injustice by having an
      accident. Next time you have something pertinent to add to the forum
      don't cloud it with sexist, opinionated propaganda. Who knows I
      might just agree with you.

      DRO.
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic