60437Re: [ksurf]Leash - Safety system - autoreturn after doing a back/frontloop

  • dutchkitesurfer
    Oct 1, 2002
      --- In kitesurf@y..., "Peter Frank" <pf@4...> wrote:
      > > > http://www.kitesurfing-kiel.de/safety/wichard/wichard.avi
      > >
      > > Like many before this system relies on the shackle spinning
      easily.
      > In my
      > > experience they don't do that when you are actually flying a kite,
      >
      > Could'nt agree more Rainer !
      >
      > Some are using tube over the depower line AND the safety leash
      line,
      > so they will be stiffer and (un)spin more easy, with above systems.
      >
      > But it is still a quite "clumsy" way of doing it, and not very
      > usefull IMO.
      >
      > Most systems won't work well under load - and you are under full
      load
      > all the time.
      >
      > Even the normal shackles can be almost impossible to release, when
      > you are under +100kg load when being dragged...
      >
      > The Wichard shackle seems very okay in this respect, but most other
      > shackles that you buy in the boat shops - keep away from those !
      > Or at least hang yourself up in your trapeze in a tree or
      something,
      > and see how heavy your release is under normal weight (don't go too
      > high in the tree - he heee).
      >
      > Then you will definitively not use those again, I'm pretty sure...
      >
      > And NEVER use the line/rope directly in a normal shackle - always
      use
      > a ring !
      > Otherwise it might not release at all.
      >
      > I use the "old" standard Wipika system with the pin release.
      > You need a little force, because the velcro and rubber band is
      quite
      > tight - BUT - the force is the very same, whether you are under
      load
      > or not !!! Perfect.
      > And another advantage (which I really worship):
      > You can not accidentally release it, because it has a
      longer "release
      > distance". So no reason to fear being dropped when hanging upside
      > down in deadmans in shallower water (your worst nightmare).
      >
      > Apart from that - you can change your depower line at any time.
      > Just make a knot on the end of a std. 5-6 or 7 mm rope, so it forms
      > little loop. This loop will fit perfectly in the pin release.
      > You don't need the "sewn" webbing which is delivered std.
      >
      > With most shackles - the release distance is so short, that they
      can
      > be halfway released, and only need a little push to open.
      > OR - if they are locked fully - you can not open it because it need
      > too much force.
      >
      > With the pin release system, I am almost 100% sure that it will not
      > open by accident, and it will open when I need it to.
      >
      > Just my experiences.
      >
      > I ALWAYS use a safety leash, and until a good useable unspin system
      > appears, I'll just jump the other way around to unspin. This is
      > really good practice anyway. A little hard with 4 twists - but
      > possible. Just do one or two rotations at a time to unspin, while
> [...]

      I'm planning to build it using the 2002 Wipika pin release in
      combination with a rotating bar http://www.flow-
      motion.de/shop/images/100018.jpg

      I tested it yesterday and so far so good. I guess the best test is
      while really kiteboarding and the depower is under full load.

      Regarding wear of the depowerloop: Wipika has a plastic tube over the
      depowerloop so I guess wear is no issue.
      Keep more useful comments coming!
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic