60434Re: [ksurf]Leash - Safety system - autoreturn after doing a back/frontloop

  • Peter Frank
    Oct 1, 2002
      > > http://www.kitesurfing-kiel.de/safety/wichard/wichard.avi
      >
      > Like many before this system relies on the shackle spinning easily.
      In my
      > experience they don't do that when you are actually flying a kite,

      Could'nt agree more Rainer !

      Some are using tube over the depower line AND the safety leash line,
      so they will be stiffer and (un)spin more easy, with above systems.

      But it is still a quite "clumsy" way of doing it, and not very
      usefull IMO.

      Most systems won't work well under load - and you are under full load
      all the time.

      Even the normal shackles can be almost impossible to release, when
      you are under +100kg load when being dragged...

      The Wichard shackle seems very okay in this respect, but most other
      shackles that you buy in the boat shops - keep away from those !
      Or at least hang yourself up in your trapeze in a tree or something,
      and see how heavy your release is under normal weight (don't go too
      high in the tree - he heee).

      Then you will definitively not use those again, I'm pretty sure...

      And NEVER use the line/rope directly in a normal shackle - always use
      a ring !
      Otherwise it might not release at all.

      I use the "old" standard Wipika system with the pin release.
      You need a little force, because the velcro and rubber band is quite
      tight - BUT - the force is the very same, whether you are under load
      or not !!! Perfect.
      And another advantage (which I really worship):
      You can not accidentally release it, because it has a longer "release
      distance". So no reason to fear being dropped when hanging upside
      down in deadmans in shallower water (your worst nightmare).

      Apart from that - you can change your depower line at any time.
      Just make a knot on the end of a std. 5-6 or 7 mm rope, so it forms a
      little loop. This loop will fit perfectly in the pin release.
      You don't need the "sewn" webbing which is delivered std.

      With most shackles - the release distance is so short, that they can
      be halfway released, and only need a little push to open.
      OR - if they are locked fully - you can not open it because it need
      too much force.

      With the pin release system, I am almost 100% sure that it will not
      open by accident, and it will open when I need it to.

      Just my experiences.

      I ALWAYS use a safety leash, and until a good useable unspin system
      appears, I'll just jump the other way around to unspin. This is
      really good practice anyway. A little hard with 4 twists - but
      possible. Just do one or two rotations at a time to unspin, while
      your kite is a bit "slow" because of the twists.
      Easy, and good practice.
      ------------------------

      How you connect your pin release system to your trapeze bar, is
      another topic (the hook must remain free for the trapeze line).
      I've found a really good way (fast/simple/cheap), which I am
      using/testing these weeks.

      :-) Peter Frank

      --- In kitesurf@y..., Rainer Leuschke <rainer@u...> wrote:

      > On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, dutchkitesurfer wrote:
      > > http://www.kitesurfing-kiel.de/safety/wichard/wichard.avi
      >
      > Like many before this system relies on the shackle spinning easily.
      In my
      > experience they don't do that when you are actually flying a kite,
      pretty
      > slack. Also, imagine doing the same thing with 4+ twists. Could be a
      > serious problem. I don't think you'd ever want to wrap your leash
      around
      > another line. It could easily result in a situation where deploying
      the
      > leash does not result in the kite depowering. R!
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic