56001Re: Knowing our limits

  • silverbacker2002
    Jun 29, 2002
      --- In kitesurf@y..., "theflyingtinman" <thorpes@a...> wrote:
      > > Can anyone think of another dangerous sport where the dangers are
      > often so unobvious - even to the participants?
      >
      > Steve T.

      very interesting question... perhaps extreme kayaking, where so much
      of the hazard is out of sight below the surface, and clues only read
      (mostly) from the surface behaviour of the water, snags remain
      lethally unseen until encountered...but I think kitesurfing stands on
      its own....what worries me is the ignorance (and potential exposure
      to hazard) of innocent bystanders .....now that's unusual indeed...
      someone earlier likened it to autoracing fans... but IMO it aint like
      that... they know the hazards and pay to accept them..... your
      average beachgoer (me and my wife) oohing and aahing at the
      gymnastics have little idea of the risks upwind of us!
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic