5573[ksurf] Re: Kite size / weight ratio

  • Hung Vu
    Oct 1, 1999
      Mark Frasier wrote:

      > >There is always more wind higher up (using 45 m lines, I felt it all the
      > >times) but I found them not very useful, especially when you have to
      > >turn the kite upward after diving it down. This will make you fall if
      > >you don't have enough wind below. One trick I always do in this
      > >situation is to turn the board windward (to add more apparent wind) when
      > >I start to turn the kite upward.
      >
      > Buggiers call that "scalloping". I can't seem to make that work ont he board
      > - it seems to sink too fast. I think a lot of the trouble might be my lack
      > of board handling skill.

      Or not enough board volume.

      Why the name "scalloping" (edging)?

      > >A bigger board may help too. I have yet figured out the relationship
      > >between board size and rider weight. There's definitely a correlation
      > >between board volume and rider weight, but I am not so sure about the
      > >correlation between board length, width and rider weight?
      > >
      > >Hung.
      >
      > Hmm...so do you think I should look for a board with a higher volume instead
      > of a larger planing surface?

      I have not done any research nor experiment on this matter (I did try a
      couple boards, but not enough). You may want to do some research and
      experiment and let us know. Just on the "surface", I guess board volume
      could be proportional to rider weight. Larger planning surface could
      help but I have no idea how much for the length and how much for the
      width.

      Hung.
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic