52975Re: [ksurf] tieing lines

  • cfglazier
    May 1, 2002
      --- In kitesurf@y..., "gregwalshau" <Greg.Walsh@b...> wrote:
      > Just a thought. Why do we need loops on the end of lines? Why not
      > just a lark's head with a knot to stop the end slipping through?

      Greg
      This would work but..

      A knot can reduce the strength of a line by up to 50%. The worst
      knots have sharp bends in the line which weakens it. (When a line is
      curved, all the load is carried on the outer part of the curve and
      none on the inner.)

      A larks head like you describe would have a very sharp bend right
      where the line enters.. very bad.

      Q powerline is normally tied with an overhand knot over a double
      line which has more gradual bends so it is stronger. Then after this
      knot two lines go to a larkshead and the load on the larks head is
      shared by both so it is twice as strong.

      Hope this makes sense.

      Chris G
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic