52945RE: [ksurf] Re: Poll Result: Do you think kites are too expensive ?

  • Carlo
    May 1, 2002
      Hi Dave and all,

      I put the poll up on my site to get a different perspective on things. I
      know from statistics that there is very little COM's visiting my site. I
      wanted some answers from the people who use kites.

      I asked a question, and people answered the question. If you don't like the
      result, then you shouldn't be reading this thread, or if you don't like the
      fact that people can't afford kites then maybe you shouldn't be selling
      kites. I don't think it's the retailers that puts up the high prices, it's
      manufacturers.

      You can compare kites with yachts, and tv's and houses and cars. But the
      fact remains that kites are too expensive. And don't play the old COM card
      of you should get a better job or earn more money. Anything can be
      expensive. Even when you can afford it. Most people kitesurfing already have
      good jobs and earn good moeny, otherwise they wouldn't be kitesurfers right
      now. If an item is so expensive, that it is expensive to a portion of the
      market that has a high level of income, isn't it pretty obvious what is
      happening?

      I will still buy kites, because I want to kitesurf. This question was posted
      to state the facts. It wasn't aimed at retailers, but maybe at some people
      who manufacture kites and read this list.

      It is posted in a positive note: wake up and smell the coffee. you will
      never be able to sell enough kites, cause most people can't afford the high
      prices. make them a little bit more affordable and you will be able to sell
      more, and people will buy more. If prices don't go down, the kiting industry
      will not collapse. It will just stay an elitist sport, and even less people
      will kitesurf than there are windsurfing.

      At the end of the day, the high prices will not affect the current consumers
      as much as it would the people in the kiting industry. It won't affect me as
      much when prices increases, but it would affect you dave, because you will
      sell even less kites. Less kites = less profit = less money = same
      overheads; which means companies will start closing down. start seeing the
      picture? So all these consumers you are ripping off with 'get a better job'
      will still be kiting when you are with your arse in the streets.

      I hope I didn't cause any sleepless nights to any COM's. hehe. Also Ari, it
      is good to see you get angry.

      Carlo
      www.kitesurf.co.za