46935Re: Ripped kites / Warranty

  • olehlie
    Feb 1, 2002
      Whenever I get a small 'nick' in the main panels I patch it up
      with 'spinnaker tape' (self adhesive ripstop tape). I make sure that
      the edges of the nicks are well alligned, put on a patch well bigger
      than the nick and repeat the process on the reverse side making sure
      not to overlap the edges (which are of course cut rounded).

      I would think this should eliminate the weakness caused bt the
      original nick ?

      Problem is that it is really hard in hindsight to see where the tear
      started. It for sure follows the stitching once it rips, but I guess
      that is only natural as 'tear along the dotted line' will be the path
      of least resistance and not necesarily mean that this is where the
      tear started.

      I have noticed that many kites develop tiny pinholes over time
      (caused by sharp pieces of sand ?) that are extremely difficoult to
      see. I observed these on my black Airblast while holding it up
      against the light.

      > G'day Pete
      > Your advice re repairs is good, but I must disagree with
      > "terminalveloce wrote"
      > There is also no doubt that some batches of fabric are faulty -
      > they have a weakness running through them - and this can occur
      > in the middle of a role. I have a suspicion that large inflatables
      > are maybe more prone to fabric defects due to the relatively large
      > panel sizes. At the end of the day though I reckon it's usually
      > poor load distribution, caused by other problems, bad design,
      > build quality or repair, that makes an otherwise healthy looking
      > panel fail.
      > This is just not true mate, cloth is inspected and tested at
      several stages
      > during manufacture, defected bits are removed and maybe sold as
      seconds for
      > various uses (stunt/sport kites, some foils!!)
      > All the cloth used in the inflatos is virtually the same ripstop
      > 1st grade cloth.
      > All inflatable sled kites load the centre panels quite highly, ANY
      > NICK OR CUT can turn into a doorway sized tear, if not properly
      > I recommend the glue method of repair for tears in these areas of a
      > kite, so that you are not placing a row of needle holes in this
      high stress
      > area, which are leaving the area weakened and readily able to tear
      > I think Ole realizes that these rips are attributable to pre-
      existing damage
      > or bad repairs?
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic